Damn, did I screw up!!!

ubserved
on 1/30/16 2:00 am

I hear you. About 20 years ago or so, I was doing my EMT clinical time in the ER at one of our counties trauma centers. This lady who had the RNY surgery and was just discharged, had whatever village idiot driving her take her through the drive thru at Wendy's and got herself a burger thinking it won't be that bad. Needless to say she ruptured her entire stomach and went through the ER into the OR in like 90 seconds. I have no idea if she survived, but if she did, her life in the short term had to suck. I mean everything she ate going into the abdominal cavity, peritonitis was pretty much a guarantee and that can kill you easily in a very short time. When I think of how many pre-op hurdles you have to go through for surgery, I think of that woman and see her as the poster child as to why. You can't fix stupid and I fear it's hereditary.

SilverGirl2015
on 1/29/16 1:46 pm

That seems like a very extreme reaction to a little of pizza cheese.  I would call your Dr.

psychoticparrot
on 1/29/16 2:22 pm

I threw up plenty in my first few weeks post-op, but it was from untreated nausea, which prevented me from keeping even allowed amounts of allowed foods/liquids down. Never had blood in the vomit and I always felt okay afterward.

Blood is a signal of a possible serious complication. Call your surgeon.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Luvmygs
on 1/29/16 2:32 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

I was way too afraid to put anything in my mouth that wasn't approved by my doctor. She told me the reason for liquids is to allow our incision line to heal. That pretty much freaked me out. I'm sorry you had to experience this. I have agree with the others, be sure to contact your doctor.

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/16 2:39 pm - CA

The post op plan that is in place after we have surgery is there so that we can allow our pouches/stomachs to heal properly and introduce foods in different stages to ensure we tolerate them.   At three weeks post op, I was on soft food and I stuck to my post op diet that had been outlined by my surgeon because HE stressed the importance of letting your pouch heal and slowly introducing the foods in stages, so that I could determine which foods I tolerated.   He put me behind the wheel to take full responsibility for what I put into my mouth.   

I don't think that cheese off the top of a pizza would cause the effects you suffered after eating some, but I also don't know for sure that you only ate cheese.   If you consumed some of the pizza crust as well, I can see that blowing up and causing some issues this early, but again, not vomiting blood.   With that being said, if I threw blood up at any point after having surgery, I would be calling my surgeon or seeing a dr. immediately.  That is NOT normal at any post op stage.  

birdiegirl
on 1/29/16 3:49 pm

Any chance the "blood" was pizza sauce?  

Kim C.
on 1/29/16 6:47 pm - Canada
If there was pizza sauce, I could understand. But no, it was not pizza sauce.
Mary Gee
on 1/29/16 4:12 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

FWIW, if I vomited blood, I would be calling my doctor's office to report it, rather than asking questions about it on the internet.  I think my doctor would be more knowledgeable.  And it might prevent a trip to the ER over the weekend.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

LosinginAZ
on 1/29/16 5:52 pm

I have no experience with this but I do hope you are ok. Keep us posted on what your doctor says. 

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

MaggieL
on 1/29/16 6:05 pm
WLS on 11/17/15

Please let us know how you are doing.

Most Active
Recent Topics