Surgery coming up!

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/16 9:50 am
VSG on 02/12/16

So this is my first post although I've been coming on here for a couple years. My insurance approved my surgery and it is scheduled for the 12th of Feb. and I'm freaking out wondering if I made the right decision. I know I have but there's too many "what if"s. I have a kidney disease, had diabetes, now I'm on the line of pre-diabetes because I lost some weight before all this, I have had two blood clots in the past and have been and will be on warfarin most likely for the rest of my life. Now I'm 24 and have struggled with weight issues my whole life, although I was consistently at 276 then when I got my first clot and fell into a deep depression I gained and now am 326. My weight fluctuates and sometimes it's more sometimes it's down to 300. Anyways my surgeon has me on a very specific regimen because of the blood thinners and they'll have me on heparin during the procedure etc. I'm just scared I'm not going to be able to do it and I'm scared of just having surgery and I'm scared that it's going to go bad and I just don't want more health issues, I have enough and have them since I was 13 and it's a hard life and I just hope this is all its said to be on here and with friends that have had it done. I know I just ranted but it feels good to get it out. 

Grim_Traveller
on 1/28/16 10:37 am
RNY on 08/21/12

We all go through what you are. We all delay, and then kick ourselves after. 

You'll be a lot happier doing it at 24 than waiting as long as most of us.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/16 10:55 am
VSG on 02/12/16

That's what I was thinking but I feel like I'm still young and can do it myself, in reality I've tried and lost some then just gained more back. It just seems so extreme. Yeah I think it's just nerves. Thanks 

Grim_Traveller
on 1/28/16 11:56 am
RNY on 08/21/12

We ALL think we can do it ourselves, without surgery. Like you, we lose 40, gain 60, lose 50, gain 70. If I had it to do over again, I'd break the cycle sooner, rather than later.

I've weighed the same at my last three yearly checkups. That's never happened my entire life.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

hollykim
on 1/28/16 2:44 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 28, 2016 at 6:55 PM Pacific Time, brittanytani wrote:

That's what I was thinking but I feel like I'm still young and can do it myself, in reality I've tried and lost some then just gained more back. It just seems so extreme. Yeah I think it's just nerves. Thanks 

extreme health situations call for extreme measures. 

With you health issues at 24, I would be superised it you live to 50 unless you do something extreme to get control of your weight.

having WLS was the single best thing I ever did just for me. I wou

d have it every month if that is what it took to keep my weight managed. I am almost 6 years out and have lost and maintained the loss of 120#. I wear a size 6 petite slim jeans and a small top and my diabetes went into remission the day after I had my surgery and has been normal every since.

White Dove
on 1/28/16 11:19 am - Warren, OH

We can all lose it ourselves without surgery.  What we cannot do is keep it from coming back.  Surgery is the tool for that.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

yesican2
on 1/28/16 1:24 pm

I'm 7 weeks out and I can tell you that I would do it all over again.  I don't regret a single thing.  I've lost 32 pounds so far and already feel better than I ever imagined.  I'm 41 and wish that I had had the opportunity to do it in my 20's.  I know my husband would say the same thing--he had the surgery almost 3 months ago and has lost 80 pounds.

At 5'3" and 276 pounds (my highest weight at one point being 300 pounds), I had to decide between possible risks/regrets and the inevitability of deteriorating health.  I have a toddler (omg I cant believe he'll be 3 in April!) and wanted to be able to keep up with him.  I want to be able to take him on his first roller coaster and to not have to be on the sidelines of every single thing he does.

That being said, it's normal to be scared and normal to worry that something could go wrong.  Nothing in life is without risk. 

If your health problems really concerned your surgeon, you wouldn't have ben approved.  I have no issues with clotting and I still got 4 heparin shots while I was there--they will take extra care in your case. 

You will do great and I believe you will be on this forum in a month or two helping someone else who is pre-op and scared.

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/16 3:33 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

I'm going to tell you the same thing I said on another newbie's post earlier:

First let me say congratulations on choosing to take back your life and health! Secondly of course the surgeon has to tell you about all the scary stuff that can happen and have you sign a waiver to protect himself legally, but those are all "could happens" not "will happens" necessarily. Just like when you see an add for a prescription medication and they list off all the side affects that have happened to people but won't necessarily happen to you if you take the medication. I had my surgery 12/17/15 (so 6 weeks out as of today) and I have never been happier. I would have it once a year every year if it's what it took. I've lost 27lbs since surgery and 25lbs before I've never lost 52 lbs on a traditional diet before, even when I had a personal trainer. I never feel hungry other than head hunger which is like cravings but real physical hunger is not a thing for me. I eat mostly meat (which I always liked the most anyway) and cheese (ditto on loving cheese) and I drink a ton of water. My skin looks beautiful and I have stopped breaking out, I sleep better, I have more energy, I don't have pain like I used to (I used to have to get chiropractic adjustments 2 times a month), my mood is improved, and it's easier to wash all my bits in the shower, I can scratch my own back if it itches now which I couldn't reach before, I can bend over and tie my shoes without my head feeling like it is going to pop, I am more flexible, I could go on and on about what's changed in only 52lbs and I can't wait to see where  I am further down the line. It's normal to be nervous but don't let anxiety blur your vision of the future. Do what you have to do: pray, meditate, talk to a councilor/friend/family member to get out your anxiety and refocus on why you are doing this. Good luck! And keep posting! 

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/16 3:49 pm
VSG on 02/12/16

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the advice and stories and I'm looking forward to sharing and having those nsv like everyone. Still a little nervous but you all are right everything has risks including living like this. :)

betterme2014
on 1/28/16 4:57 pm - Canada

I think you got some great advice and feedback already! Just gonna say...you go girl! You can do it! Keep looking up!

my surgery is this Monday. Yes there are some nerves but also loads of excitement ?

Best wishes!

Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come.

Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome.

~ unknown

Most Active
Recent Topics