Short Term Disability...I dont understand my policy

ejirish
on 1/28/16 8:24 am

I've read my policy over and over...I dont understand it. I'm not sure if I need to use my PTO first? Or, can I save my PTO time?

Are all policies the same?

I feel so dumb...but I'm afraid to ask my HR lady- not ready for that yet. 

staceylynne13
on 1/28/16 8:47 am
VSG on 01/06/16

not sure if it's the policy or the state. for most states, you must use your pto, some will make you use all vacation and sick time first before applying. 

Paula1965
on 1/28/16 8:53 am
VSG on 04/01/15

Get it clarified with your HR person - that is why they are there! Every businesses policy is different. For mine the first week of a leave I need to use PTO then short term disability kicks in and pays at 50% of my wage, used to 66 1/3% but just went down after the start of 2016.

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/28/16 9:27 am - MI

For short term I did NOT have to use any PTO or vacation time because I had one week off. I know there are different policies. HR is going to be your best bet. You don't have to tell her what kind of medical procedure.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

acbbrown
on 1/28/16 9:40 am - Granada Hills, CA

They are all different. Mine requires I use 7 days of PTO before my short term disability kicks in. Others I know require 14 days. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/16 1:06 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Definitely call HR, they can answer questions without setting the wheels in motion if you are worried about them prying just say you may have to have surgery but you're not sure just yet. At my company you have to use pto for the first week (5 days they don't count your normal days off) and then I get a week at 100% salary for every year I have worked there and after those 100% weeks it goes down to 66% salary. Good luck! :)

KatnMac
on 1/28/16 10:15 pm
VSG on 02/15/16

If your company does not self insure, you can also contact the carrier if you'd rather not speak with HR. If they do self-insure the STD, there might be a TPA (third party administrator) you could contact for information.

Every policy and carrier has their own quirky rules and guidelines. Also, some states have additional provisions that must be followed which muddies it all.

If your policy will not pay if PTO is used Concurrently, perhaps your company will allow unpaid time off in lieu of using PTO during your waiting period. Typically I require employees to use PTO when on FMLA (or any other kind of leave),but with our current STD policy, that requirement is waived for those who elected to participate in the STD plan.

ejirish
on 1/29/16 4:41 pm

Yes, my policy says "used concurrently" - what does that mean? Why cant it just be plain english? Anyway- I asked a woman whos been there a long time and she had to use 8 PTO days... no where in the policy does it say that...so weird! And- what if I was out of PTO and needed surgery? Its so hard to save up PTO- and we only get a little to begin with..

Anyway- I'm going to ask HR soon...we'll see

KatnMac
on 1/29/16 10:46 pm
VSG on 02/15/16

It means to use the PTO at the same time as your disability period, regardless if you are in the waiting period (this varies by STD plan) or if you are receiving payment.  I totally agree it's frustrating... Our current plan defers payment if ANY PTO is used during the 5 day elimination (waiting) period.  

CathyWray
on 1/29/16 6:39 am - Madison, TN

For me, I had to fill out the papers with HR, then fill our the State forms and get them signed and completed by the doctor.  Then the disability under your insurance should pay for the two weeks that the state disability does not pay.  On my paycheck I say payment from disability instead of from my PTO.  You will need to verify this with your insurance plan.  Its written in some other legaleze so on wonder you can't understand it. Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics