Happyteacher made me do it

alouisa63
on 1/27/16 6:57 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Instant Pot is the brand name.  After doing a little research, this one just does lots of stuff and had great reviews. 

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

happyteacher
on 1/28/16 3:13 pm

The model Instant Pot Duo (6 quart) has 7 functions, one of whi*****ludes yogurt. Hence, if in the yogurt function it is not working like a pressure cooker, but rather maintaining the proper temperature for the desired duration.  That is why I am such a fan of this particular model compared to my other pressure cookers- it is easier and does more. Downside is it is smaller and takes a little longer to get to pressure. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

LA5767
on 1/27/16 11:17 am

I was  just checking the Instant Pot out on Amazon a bit ago,

Please let us know how you like it!!

Thanks

Lynne

psychoticparrot
on 1/27/16 2:40 pm

Happyteacher, the InstantPot people should be paying you a commission on these things! I bought one several weeks ago but will have to wait until April when I get back to the States to use it.

In the meantime, here's a recipe from "Pressure Cooker Perfection" (by the same people who publish 'Cooks' Illustrated') for turkey breast and gravy. I haven't tried this, so I make no claims about how well the turkey will turn out, but the "Cooks' Illustrated" people generally know what they're talking about:

Turkey breast and gravy

Serves 6, Pressure level - High, Quick release, Total time 1 1/2 hours, Time under pressure 35 minutes.

1. One 6-pound whole bone-in turkey breast, trimmed of excess fat
  2. Salt and pepper
  3. 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  4. 1 onion, chopped fine
  5. 1 carrot, peeled and chopped coarse
  6. 1 garlic clove, peel and smashed
  7. 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
  8. 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  9. 1/4 cup dry white wine
  10. 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  11. 1 bay leaf

Pat turkey breast dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in pressure-cooker pot over medium-high heat. Brown turkey breast, skin side down, about 5 minutes; transfer to plate. Add onion and carrot to fat in pot and cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and sage and coo****il fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in wine, smoothing out any lumps, and coo****il slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Stir in broth and bay leaf. Using wooden spoon, scrape up all browned bits stuck on bottom of pot. Place turkey, breast side up, in pot with any accumulated juices. Lock pressure cooker lid in place and bring to high pressure over medium-high heat. As soon as pot reaches high pressure, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 35 minutes, adjusting heat as needed to maintain high pressure. Remove pot from heat. Quick release pressure, then carefully remove lid, allowing steam to escape away from you. Transfer turkey breast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest for 15 minutes. Strain cooking liquid through a fine-mesh strainer set over large bowl. Return liquid to pot and use large spoon to skin excess fat from surface. Bring liquid to simmer over medium heat and coo****il thickened and measures 2 cups, about 15 minutes. Off heat, whisk in remaining 1 tablespoon butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Carve turkey breast and serve with gravy.

(If using a 6-quart electric pressure cooker, remove turkey breast's backbone, if still intact, with kitchen shears in order for the breast to fit into the pot Add the backbone to the pot, underneath the breast, to help flavor the gravy during cooking. Quick release the pressure immediately after the pressurized cooking time; do not let the cooker switch to the Warm setting.)

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

michellemj
on 1/27/16 2:43 pm

I'm making this tonight, with a few subs.

http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-thai-chi cken-thighs/

• 1 - 2 tablespoon canola oil (I'm subbing coconut oil)
  • 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed (about 8)
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter (I'm subbing almond butter)
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce (I'm subbing coconut aminos)
  • 1 tablespoons freeze dried cilantro (I'll add fresh as a garnish)
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 tablespoon corn starch (I'm subbing arrowroot)
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1/4 cup chopped peanuts (omitting)
  • green onions, chopped for garnish, optional
Directions  
  1. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pressure cooker pot, select Browning. When oil is hot, brown the meat in small batches, do not crowd the pot. Set the browned chicken on a platter.
  2. When all the chicken is browned, add chicken broth, peanut butter, soy sauce, cilantro, lime juice, red pepper and ginger. Stir to combine.
  3. Add the browned chicken to the pot, along with any juices that have collected on the platter. Cover pot and lock lid in place.
  4. Select High Pressure and 9 minutes cook time. (It will take about 10 minutes to reach high pressure.)
  5. After 9 minutes cook time, turn off pressure cooker and use a quick pressure release. Remove chicken thighs from the pot leaving the sauce.
  6. In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water. Add cornstarch mixture to the sauce in the pot stirring constantly. Select Simmer and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. After sauce thickens, add chicken thighs and coat with the sauce.
  7. Serve garnished with chopped peanuts and green onions.
happyteacher
on 1/27/16 3:49 pm

I saw this recipe a couple weeks ago and have been really wanting to try it. I hope it is as good as it looks!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

michellemj
on 1/27/16 6:53 pm

Good, but I made more changes. Because I've made peanut sauce things in the past, this was lacking in the "peanut" so I added more almond butter (to taste, maybe another 1/4 cup), some fish sauce (I use Red Boat), and a LOT more crushed red pepper.

It needs work, but still really good. and a good intro for the Boyfriend who doesn't like most things asian flavored.

happyteacher
on 1/28/16 3:14 pm

Thanks for the update It seems we have similar tastes as your additions fall in line with what I would do. I appreciate it!

michellemj
on 1/28/16 3:46 pm

oh! One more thing: I thought it was plenty thick (I also added some broccoli) so I didn't bother with the arrowroo****er slurry. But YMMV, esp. if you use peanut butter and not almond butter.

alouisa63
on 1/27/16 5:31 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Really silly question but... do you get arrowroot in the store by the cornstarch or is it a specialty thing Ill have to hunt down?

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Most Active
Recent Topics