Personal Doctor Approval ?

Ravensekhmet
on 1/26/16 6:32 pm - Marietta, GA

So I had my first visit today and am leaning towards the sleeve . With my insurance I am able to do a 90 day program with nutrition/psychical therapist meeting which is great!

I was told I need to get the ok from my primary physician ..now I have never gone to the doctor much and while I did go in Dec 2015 I have only meet her once.  Is it normal to get an ok from just one prior visits.

I am a bit paranoid about this because its the only requirement I am iffy on. I am over 40 BMI but do not have any health issues yet. 

I am so super nervous but I did get an appointment to see her Friday so I am hopeful.

Mandyymariee92
on 1/26/16 7:27 pm
VSG on 03/28/16

Hello, I did not have to get an approval from my primary, I did, However have to do a 3 month supervised nutrition/ weight management plan with him and since I "never went to see him" He would not do the supervised for me until I was willing to see him on a regular basis.

Soooooo, I switched primary DR's and had no problem, Had to do the first visit as a "new patient" appointment but now we done what I needed to do. My last APPT with him is on FEB.19th!! :)

Good luck! 

And I think in most cases, if your BMI is 40+ you do not need to have any comorbidities, At least that is how my surgeon is.

acbbrown
on 1/26/16 7:29 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I asked a primary care doc for a referral that I had never met before and only spent 5 minutes. Of course I was like 400 lbs soooo couldn't imagine any doctor saying no. Just be prepared with good research about the procedure you are interested in so she doesn't think you are asking on a whim. If you show you've done some research, I'd think you'd most likely get her support. 

If she says no, it won't be the end of the world. There are plenty of other docs. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

cconroy55
on 1/27/16 9:51 am

Don't worry about this one - I'm sure she will be very excited that you are taking this step to improve your health - she knows that the key point in your message is that you don't have any heath issues YET.  But also, don't be surprised if you know a lot more about the procedure than she does!

happyteacher
on 1/27/16 11:23 am

Usually it simply comes down to if you are/are not a candidate. If you are heavy enough, comorbidities, etc. In my case, my primary was very new to me at the time. She was against it too, but my insurance did not require her to be on board. Obviously I did it anyway, and now she is actually on board given the results. Hindsight is 20/20 for her I am sure, but it is all good. If it is a problem with that doc, find a new doc. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

poolside
on 2/4/16 7:34 am

I had the same requirement and was nervous as well. I had recently moved to a new city and had only seen my doctor twice in the last few years. When I asked him for it he told me he didn't believe in WLS as most of his patients who have had it have failed. Worst case scenario! However, I talked to him and explained my reasons for wanting the surgery and he begrudgingly wrote me a letter. It was the least committal letter ever, only a few sentences, and only really saying I had a really high BMI and that I told him it had been that way for a long time. I sweated it for awhile by my insurance accepted it without issue. Don't worry about it until it's time to worry about it. Just clearly lay out your reasons and be ready to advocate for yourself.

Most Active
Recent Topics