Does anyone else wonder...

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/26/16 5:11 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

bou

Here's the bougie comparison most frequently cited.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/26/16 3:03 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

In regards to initial size vs. eventual potential, ask a medical professional or have someone check out the medical literature for you. There are folks her who would swear by sizes and predict failure, but I've yet to see any scientific evidence- even a confirmed anecdote- of it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

happyteacher
on 1/27/16 11:35 am

What Sparkle says. Technically the research does indicate that once you get to 60 it starts to matter (too big), but the 40f is statistically just as likely to get you to goal as something smaller, but with less risk of complication. My personal experience is consistent with this as well- I have a large sleeve and had no trouble at all getting to goal. 4 years out I am currently 16 pounds under goal (although recent loss is due to gallbladder/hernia issues). 

Occasionally you will see someone post claiming that someone with my sleeve size can eat a ridiculous amount- can't remember at the moment but something like 16 ounces compared to a smaller sleeve only eating 2-4 ounces. Bull**** I have that sized sleeve and can't get anywhere near that down and I have a tall lanky frame that would in theory make for a longer stomach compared to some of the shorties out there. Go by the research. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/26/16 3:52 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You can have the smallest stomach on the planet and still gain weight. It isn't about how little you are able to eat in one sitting that matters. It's about how little you choose to eat by the end of each day. Stomach size can help. But what's between your ears matters more.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

ChemistryQueen
on 1/26/16 5:06 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

I was curious about this when I was first researching surgery as well!

I asked my doctor right after my surgery (and of course pronounce Bougie wrong...haha) and he told me it was a 34! Which I was super happy to hear, because I knew I would need all the restriction I could get.

I never felt "full" before surgery. It was either hungry or sick. So while I do agree that there is some mental aspect to it, the physical part is important as well.

Also, it's not even just the size of your stomach, but all the bacteria in your gut (known as your microbiome) change with surgery as well. And the cool part is that they change in a way that you can't get from diet alone. This is why eating protein first ensures the good bacteria flourish and the carb-loving mean bacteria stay at bay! 

Highest Weight: 385 (09/2014)

Surgery Weight: 331 (1/2016)

Current Weight: 157.4 (7/2017)

-VSG with Dr. Erik Dutson at UCLA on 1/11/2016-

-Brachioplasty (Arm Lift) and Abdominplasty (Tummy Tuck) with Dr. Jason Roostaeian at UCLA on 8/23/2017

Want to WATCH me on my journey? Check out my youtube channel HERE!!

Spencerella
on 1/26/16 5:31 pm, edited 1/26/16 9:31 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

While there are many opinions and varying studiy results on the importance of sleeve size, it's probably fair to say that Bougie size is pretty much irrelevant for the first year or so when the differences are minuscule. It's the mature sleeve size (tripling) that makes the difference in terms of eventual capacity.

A small sleeve cannot help someone who continues to graze and/or eat slider foods, but it's a tremendous help to those who follow the basic rules because restriction is felt much earlier when there's any attempt to overeat. So yes, you must learn to follow the rules and eat properly over time, but I do think that continued good restriction works in synergy with good eating habits.   

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Laura in Texas
on 1/27/16 5:14 pm

"He did the small pouch and at no point will I be able to gain enough weight to go back to the old me."

In my opinion, this is a TERRIBLE thing to say to a patient!! It gives a false sense of security. ANYONE can gain weight no matter what weight loss surgery he/she has.

Surgeons operate on our bodies, not our minds. There are a lot of reasons why people gain weight. You have done wonderful so far, but you are not immune. Don't get over-confident.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Recent Topics