Does anyone else wonder...

louloubelle
on 1/26/16 11:53 am
VBG on 01/09/10 with

If different dr's do surgery and size removals different. 

I just wonder if it's that or just each person body and life style that makes a persons weight oss journey so different. 

My dr told my husband... He did the small pouch and at know point will I be able to gain enough weight to go back to the old me. That thought has stuck in my head... 

He said as long as I use my tool and be smart about eating protein first. 

I hear people saying they have stretched it. I know when I'm eating what I should I have my restriction feeling even at my high weight at 135. 

Guess im just curious to views. 

acbbrown
on 1/26/16 12:16 pm - Granada Hills, CA

It's both the surgery itself and the patients choices that determines success with WLS. 

Your doctor is an idiot for making such bold statements. As someone who had a fairly small sleeve made, I've had significant regain. It wasn't because I ate too much dense protein veggies or carbs. It was because I chose to overeat a lot of slider foods - foods that cause no restriction and slide right through my pyloric valve (all very high calorie and sugar sense foods). If your doctor doesn't think that a patient can't eat normal protein first meals and then suck down tons of sugar and gain all the weight back, he's really really mistaken. 

Thanks to the VSG, I didn't gain all my weight back but could have easily if I hadn't decided to make serious changes in my life and the direction I was heading in. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

louloubelle
on 1/26/16 12:26 pm
VBG on 01/09/10 with

All good points. I'm sure he was saying IF a person. Follows protein first guidelines. And doesn't eat all sugars.  I do understand how sliders go down easy. But those sliders cause major sickeness when over done at least for my body. But agree my bad choices Also are the reason for my gaining. And as I said before I have the tool. I just have to be smart enough to use it correctly. 

Thanks for your input !

Wildagain2016
on 1/28/16 3:29 pm
VSG on 01/25/16

"Slider foods"... I have to remember that term! 

frisco
on 1/26/16 12:22 pm

The VSG is a non standardized procedure and not all sleeves are created equal.

Size and technique tend to be the variables on the surgical side.

The larger the initial sleeve, more of the stretchy tissue is retained and eventual capacity "can" be more as the potential for stretch is increased.

A sleeve that starts out with about a 2oz. capacity will mature to 4-5oz.

A sleeve that starts out with about a 4oz. capacity "can" end up 12-16oz.

Over eating is about the only way to stretch a sleeve, under eating your sleeve capacity is how you preserve your restriction for the long haul.

Dr. Alvarez is known to make a very effective sleeve.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

louloubelle
on 1/26/16 12:38 pm
VBG on 01/09/10 with

I agree. He's awesome. And I have been super lucky. My life is better a 100% because of him 

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 1/26/16 12:46 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

I am somewhat embarrassed to admit, I have no idea what size my sleeve is.. I was so relieved it wasn't open like we feared it would be. The Dr. said he was able to get in laparoscopically and give me a nice tight sleeve. I said yay and fell back to sleep  lol

mmsmom
on 1/26/16 12:49 pm - Woburn, MA

I know my dr said he was very cautious and did not make the smallest sleeve - he said the difference would be that maybe i would not lose the last 5 lbs.  I did, however, lose about 8-10 lbs under his goal - and feel like i have very good restriction so i guess it was small enough for me. Love, love, love my sleeve

VSG on 04/28/2014

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/16 1:05 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

I was super nervous about this when I was preparing for surgery as my surgeon's nurse practitioner told me my doctor used a 40f bougie to size the pouch, which in my reading was pretty large and could cause people needing revisions/feeling hungry or being able to eat too much. So right before I went into surgery I asked my surgeon what size boughie he used because Megan (NP) said 40 and he laughed and said "no she was mistaken I use a 34 or a 36 I see when I need when I get in there but you'll probably end up with a 34 or a tightly placed 36 because of the amount of weight you need to lose. I don't go smaller than that because of risk of strictures.". I can eat maybe 2.5 ounces if I take a really long (read 45 mins-hour) time to eat but if I eat in the 20-30 minutes I'm supposed to I can just get in 2 oz. I'm hoping once my sleeve is matured for it to be 4-6oz capacity and no larger. I am working on under eating my sleeve as much as possible while still hitting protein goals.

White Dove
on 1/26/16 2:11 pm - Warren, OH

Do a search for the bougie size picture on this site.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics