Seeking Guidance

Mane2016
on 1/27/16 9:16 am

Thanks so much Judith and major congrats! 41 down in 8 weeks is awesome. I am pushing forward with my decision. My husband finally came around to understanding my struggle and is now supporting me. He said he was afraid of the consequences of surgery rather than opposed to my decision so I'm feeling more and more confident about moving forward. I'm starting my prep tests in February and barring any complications, I'm hoping to have it done in early Spring. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the support and encouragement. 

JudithJohnson
on 1/28/16 1:05 pm
VSG on 12/03/15

The consequences of the surgery are going to be a happier and healthier you! What man would not want that? As you draw closer to surgery, you will start questioning again whether this is the right decision for you. Keep your eye on the prize darling, a healthier you that will be around for a lot longer because you are making the right decision for your health and with that for your family. If you struggle, don't struggle alone. We're here to support you on your way there and after you have joined the loser's club. Feel free to private message me if you simply want to talk.

You're on your way! Yay!

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

Mane2016
on 2/26/16 10:00 am

Nice job your post op progress!!!!ð?'ð?'ð?'

Sandra F.
on 1/26/16 6:10 am

-Was it the right decision for you? ABSOLUTELY, 110% YES!

-Do you have any regrets? Not doing it much much sooner. 

-If given the choice would you do it again? ABSOLUTELY, no question.

-Would you do something different? I would have concentrated more on water in-take in the first month.  I was dehydrated and nauseous because of it.

-How much did you lose with VSG and how long did it take? I am down 114 lbs and still trying to lose 14 more.

-Why did you chose Sleeve over band or bypass?  My dad had the band and has gained all of the weight back that he lost and I have read too many stories of band failures.  The bypass made me nervous because of the re-routing of the intestines, so I settled with the sleeve.

-Is the post surgery lifestyle like a strict diet that you've done already or is it easier or harder? Does it cause stress?

I would like to say it is easy, but it is easier than before surgery, for sure.  When a cup of food fills you up and with vomiting a good deterrent, it is easy not to eat too much.  The problem lies with what types of foods are entering my body--trying my best to beat the carb monster.  It stresses me a little--don't want to gain back all of the weight I have lost and have done this for nothing.

-Have you kept the weight off?  So far, yes, but I am only at month 15.

-Has it been difficult to keep the weight off?  No, but it is harder to lose after the first year.

-Is the final outcome worth the hefty out of pocket expense? Absolutely.  I was self pay as well and went to Mexico to have my surgery, which is cheaper.  I realize that Mexico is not an option for everyone, but I have no regrets and would do it again in a heart beat.  I can walk longer distances without getting winded, am taking the stairs more often, have WAY more energy and feel better than I did when I was 25.  By the way, I had my surgery at 39 going on 40, so we are almost the same age.  Whatever you choose, good luck to you.

Mane2016
on 1/26/16 9:21 am

Hi Sandra. Thank you so much for your thorough response. Congratulations on your great success. I am shooting for the sleeve for the same reasons you did and am feeling more and more encouraged. Since we are about the same age, can you tell me whether you've had any issues with lose skin and any long term problems or side effects like heartburn, long term pain, discomfort or anything. And finally, I have also looked into going to Mexico, the Obesity Center in Tijuana but my husband is not going to support that as he would not be able to go with me and says travel expenses from Jersey would bring our cost up to what I've been quoted here in Jersey. It's a good option though so any info you can give me on that will also be appreciated. I'm considering everything.

Thanks again and keep up the great work!!!!

Sandra F.
on 1/26/16 12:29 pm

I do have a little loose skin on my arms, commonly referred to as "chicken wings" and a tiny bit on my stomach, but nothing major.  A couple of years down the road, I may consider plastics, but want to wait until I have finished losing and am sure I will remain there for a while before spending the money.  I had my surgery with Dr. Fernando Garcia of Tijuana Bariatrics and my cost, including airfare was MUCH less than what they wanted locally.  I live in Virginia and locally they wanted $19000.00 for self pay.  I paid $4400.00 plus around $750.00 airfare for myself and my husband.  I also stayed a couple of extra days in San Diego to see the city a bit, so I paid for hotels too.  The $4400.00 included my hotel in Tijuana though and I stayed 2 nights at the hotel in Tijuana (1 night pre-op and 1 night post) and 2 nights at the hospital.  I have had no long term effects such as heart burn or anything like that, so I guess I'm lucky.  No pain either.  Like I said before, Mexico is not for everyone and I get that.  Whatever you decide, good luck to you.

Mane2016
on 1/27/16 9:07 am

Wow! That's less than half the price of the US. It's definitely something to consider. Thanks again. 

boudiceatx
on 1/27/16 5:42 pm, edited 1/27/16 10:28 am

Wow!  I so identify with your post.  I had VSG July 30, 2015 and I am 5'5" and my weight the day of surgery was 205.  I was pre-diabetic and terrified about becoming diabetic.  Like you I have tried it all and was feeling pretty hopeless about every returning to a normal weight.  I didn't tell anyone but family that I was having the surgery, because I felt like people would judge me and I didn't want to deal with that.  I think keeping it quiet was the right decision for me.

-Was it the right decision for you?  Yes, absolutely.  I am so happy!

-Do you have any regrets? That I didn't do it sooner.

-If given the choice would you do it again?  In a heartbeat

-Would you do something different? No, I'm glad I had the VSG.

-How much did you lose with VSG and how long did it take?   I have lost 48 pounds so far.  Per my surgeon I am 5 months ahead of the average for % of weight loss for this time period.  I mention what my surgeon said because I was comparing myself to other people based on number of pounds lost and thought I wasn't doing as well.  He pointed that I had to look at % of weight loss not numbers, and that I'm doing good.  That was really reassuring to me.

-Why did you choose Sleeve over band or bypass?  My surgeon would not have done a bypass at my weight.  The sleeve and lapband were my only options, and I am glad he talked up the sleeve over the band.  I decided against the band because it seemed like there were more complications, the data shows the results are better with the sleeve, and I didn't want to have to keep going in and getting adjustments and that sort of thing.  Glad I went with the sleeve.

-Is the post surgery lifestyle like a strict diet that you've done already or is it easier or harder? Does it cause stress?

I haven't found the post surgery diet to cause stress or to be particularly difficult.  The most difficult time was the period after surgery when I was on liquids, but it doesn't last long.  In fact I wanted food so much I chewed some and spit it out.  Now that I can eat food it's been much easier to eat healthy and eat small amounts due to the smaller stomach and having less hunger hormones.  In fact, I now have to tell myself to eat at times which is weird.

-Have you kept the weight off?  I haven't made it to maintenance yet so I can't comment on that. 

-Is the final outcome worth the hefty out of pocket expense?  It's absolutely worth it to me.  Worth every penny.  I am so happy with it.  I finally feel like I have some control over my eating, and it's a good feeling. 

Most Active
Recent Topics