5 days post VGS. Feeling pretty good but weak from no calories!?!?

Michelle13Tx
on 1/25/16 2:22 pm
VSG on 01/20/16

Feeling optimistic about surgery. Pain hasn't been too bad and a little tired but overall pretty good.  Up walking and working from home a little bit. 

Had lap and previously with great success but it was removed due to an erosion in 2011. Of course I gained back all weight I lost plus some.

my question is how do you get through this first week on clears only?  I was able to start clear proteins today can't tell yet if that's going to help.

I don't want to eat anything but can tell I've had almost no calories so I feel weak.  

Just curious if others felt the same or any tips.

Thanks!! Michelle in Tx ?

rocky513
on 1/25/16 2:49 pm - WI

You feel weak from going through major surgery and the residual effects from anesthesia.  It has nothing to do with too few calories.  You have enough calories to burn in the way of excess fat.  Don't fall into the trap that you "need to eat" because you feel a certain way.  The goal of the surgery is to make sure you eat very little so you lose weight fast.  Follow your program and you will be fine.

Just make sure you are getting enough fluids.  Your biggest worry right now should be staying hydrated.  Dehydration will land you back in the hospital faster than anything.  If you are taking your vitamins, drinking enough,and getting adequate protein, you are nutritionally sound.  You will need to change everything about the way you think about and relate to food.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Michelle13Tx
on 1/25/16 3:49 pm
VSG on 01/20/16

Thank you for the response Rocky!  Could be the surgery but overall I feel pretty good.  I am not tempted to eat something or consume something I shouldn't.  I'm just curious if this is something others have felt or if possibly drinking clear protein throughout the day may help spread out what I am taking in to help get through this week. 

It feels a lot more like when I was pregnant and went too long without eating and I would suddenly feel hungry and weak.  When I take a drink of water, crystal light or protein I feel better so I have a fix.  But wondered how others dealt with the same feelings or ideas to help.

I definitely understand the concept of low calorie intake, and burning excess fat.  I am on board with that and not eating just because I "feel" hungry.  Just didn't expect it quite so quickly. 

I am drinking lots of water, other allowable fluids, vitamins and proteins so all is good. 

Grim_Traveller
on 1/25/16 3:44 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Exactly what rocky said. You're carrying around a lot of extra calories, so you don't need to eat any more.

Drink, and drink some more. The best way to feel weak and nauseated is not drinking enough.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

hollykim
on 1/25/16 4:01 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 25, 2016 at 10:22 PM Pacific Time, Michelle13Tx wrote:

Feeling optimistic about surgery. Pain hasn't been too bad and a little tired but overall pretty good.  Up walking and working from home a little bit. 

Had lap and previously with great success but it was removed due to an erosion in 2011. Of course I gained back all weight I lost plus some.

my question is how do you get through this first week on clears only?  I was able to start clear proteins today can't tell yet if that's going to help.

I don't want to eat anything but can tell I've had almost no calories so I feel weak.  

Just curious if others felt the same or any tips.

Thanks!! Michelle in Tx ?

exactly what rocky and grim said.

Michelle13Tx
on 1/25/16 4:09 pm
VSG on 01/20/16

Thanks

Luvmygs
on 1/25/16 4:26 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

I'm 13 months post op and still remember my first couple of weeks. Yes, I was weak. Don't forget you also had major surgery. I didn't do well with plain broth, so my NUT told me I could buy my favorite soup as long as I strained it. I had my husband buy me Progresso Chicken noodle soup and I just strained the noodles, vegetables and chicken. It was so delicious! I also lived off sugar free popsicles. Its only for a couple weeks, you can do this. It gets so much better day by day. Good luck. Christine

Michelle13Tx
on 1/25/16 5:35 pm
VSG on 01/20/16

Thank you Christine!  Strained soup sounds much better than plain broth.

I will definitely try that.  Hard to get much variety so any ideas help.

Thank you for the positive thoughts! :)

Sammy_85
on 1/25/16 4:33 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

I'm 6 days post-op and yesterday I was able to start on clear protein drinks so I made some with Syntrax Nectar and Crystal Light for added flavour. I sipped on it for a good 3 hours but I did feel better after. Yesterday was also the first day that I really concentrated on getting more fluids in and I think that also helped with the tired/weak feeling. Have you heard of bone broth? I made some yesterday (it takes almost a whole day to make) and I've been sipping it today and my energy level is pretty good. I just googled bone broth and found a good recipe (I made mine with beef bones but you can also do chicken). I hope some of my ideas help! Hang in there, it's hard but you can do it!

Michelle13Tx
on 1/25/16 5:38 pm
VSG on 01/20/16

A lady in my surgery group mentioned bone broth and said it was helpful!  But I had forgotten.  Thank you!

I have been drinking clear protein today and I do think it has helped me from feeling empty so much.

Thank you for the response and positive hints and encouragement!  :)

Most Active
Recent Topics