Psych Visit on Friday....

DSassano
on 1/25/16 6:55 am - Highland Park, IL
VSG on 02/29/16

Hello All,

On Friday I go for my psych evaluation and for those who had to get one for insurance I was wondering what I should suspect.  It looks like to me there may be some test/evaluation that you fill out like a personality or something, and then a meeting with the Dr.  I just trying to figure out what to expect.  Any feedback is always appreciated. 

I met with the nutritionist last week as that was very interesting.  She gave me some things to work on in preparation for my new lifestyle which I've been putting into practice because I would like my transition to be smooth (which I know is hard), but I am expecting challenges as I read on this site there always are.  However, is I minimize those by re training my brain a little bit before hand the better.  Thank you reading and letting me babble. 

dcapurz
on 1/25/16 7:43 am - NJ
VSG on 02/23/16

Don't worry, I was nervous as well, but it was pretty much just talking and getting to know you. She asked me questions about my lifestyle and asked about what I expect and my support system. It was not bad at all. Just be yourself and answer truthfully.

Good Luck !!

alouisa63
on 1/25/16 7:49 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

My psych exam was three visits.  I had to meet with the doctor and discuss my motivation for surgery. They wanted to make sure I wasn't being pressured into this and was doing it of my own volition.  Then I had to take the MMPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory) test.  This one killed me.  It was about 350 questions that asked the same 10 basic questions multiple ways.  Then the third visit we went over the results of the test.  Seems I was a great candidate for surgery!

Keep in mind that different insurance companies require different things so my experience may not be what you have.  Good luck and just relax :)

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

DSassano
on 1/25/16 7:51 am - Highland Park, IL
VSG on 02/29/16

Thank you for your input I have two appointments scheduled on Friday back to back.  It looks like my first one is the MMPI, and the second one is an evaluation with the dr.  

alouisa63
on 1/25/16 7:55 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

The MMPI answers are true and false (If I remember right).  Don't try to overthink the answers, just answer them :)  The one thing that stuck out for me from the results of the test was they could determine how compliant you will be following your program based on the results.  It really was pretty interesting.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

JudithJohnson
on 1/25/16 8:23 am, edited 1/25/16 12:23 am
VSG on 12/03/15

I talked to the guy for 15-20 minutes, mainly about why I wanted the surgery and some of my past (identifying how you got where you are) and then i had to click through almost a 1000 questions on a computer, it was quite ridiculous. They asked the same question many times in a different way, it was actually making me laugh. Nothing to worry about :)

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/25/16 9:11 am - MI

I know that all doctors/programs are different. My psych was great, he wanted to kind of know how I had gotten to the weight I did and why I wanted surgery and how I thought it would help me. I also had to take an evaluation. My program seemed a little but more evasive then yours. I continued to see him monthly for six months before surgery and monthly for a year after surgery.

Good luck, the process seems to be going pretty fast for you!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

tdelson
on 1/25/16 10:44 am
VSG on 10/12/15

For my evaluation I had to answer a three page questionnaire, draw some pictures and talk to the guy for about 45 minutes. I am not artistic and had to draw a picture of a person, so I just drew a stick figure with a happy face. 

Most Active
Recent Topics