Stomach pain-Kind of long

piperboodog
on 1/24/16 11:59 am

This may be a bit long but I'm hoping to get some insight as to what is going on. I'm 10 months post-op and it's been an overall good experience. There have been some days when I might eat to fast or to much but those are few. Two times in the past three months I've had these "episodes" of nausea and stomach pain. It starts suddenly and stops after about 8 hours. Then I have no more problems. The 1st time it happened I thought it might be a stomach virus and I went to urgent care. I had no abdominal tenderness and they could here noises in my bowels. The 2nd time it happened was last night. It was almost exactly the same as the previous time. Same kind of pain and I threw up once. Both episodes I've also been very gassy. I've not had a fever. Now I'm thinking both episodes had to do with my sleeve. I'm thinking I'm eating to fast or to much on these days and my stomach is rebelling. Yesterday I had to much sugar. I'm going to call my surgeon on Monday and see if I need to come in. I in no way want to undo all the hard work and progress that I've made the past 10 months. Thanks for reading and for any insight.

cappy11448
on 1/24/16 1:06 pm

I get a lot of gas when I eat too many cookies or cake, etc.  It doesn't cause pain for me, but I wonder if it could be gas pain.

I hope you feel better soon.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

hollykim
on 1/24/16 1:18 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 24, 2016 at 7:59 PM Pacific Time, piperboodog wrote:

This may be a bit long but I'm hoping to get some insight as to what is going on. I'm 10 months post-op and it's been an overall good experience. There have been some days when I might eat to fast or to much but those are few. Two times in the past three months I've had these "episodes" of nausea and stomach pain. It starts suddenly and stops after about 8 hours. Then I have no more problems. The 1st time it happened I thought it might be a stomach virus and I went to urgent care. I had no abdominal tenderness and they could here noises in my bowels. The 2nd time it happened was last night. It was almost exactly the same as the previous time. Same kind of pain and I threw up once. Both episodes I've also been very gassy. I've not had a fever. Now I'm thinking both episodes had to do with my sleeve. I'm thinking I'm eating to fast or to much on these days and my stomach is rebelling. Yesterday I had to much sugar. I'm going to call my surgeon on Monday and see if I need to come in. I in no way want to undo all the hard work and progress that I've made the past 10 months. Thanks for reading and for any insight.

it could be an ulcer. It could also be excess acid. Are you taking an acid reducer?

it could also be gastritis.  It could be constipation. It could be a partially twisted bowel. It is a good thing you are seeing your surgeon cause it could be many things. 

happyteacher
on 1/24/16 1:26 pm

I have dealt with a lot of what you described for a while. After a lot of tests and such it turned out to be gallstones plus acid plus hiatel hernia. Sounds like the gallbladder part I experienced. Are you getting an ache on the right side of your ribcage at the bottom, or pain in the shoulder when the epidsodes occur?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

MissNexxie
on 1/24/16 8:31 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

Your symptoms do sound like they could be gallbladder related.  Mine had to come out almost exactly one year after my VSG.  I started having episodes of pain and nausea more frequently and of longer duration.  My stomach would also make a lot of noise.  I had an ultrasounds done and my GB was described as a 'bag full of rocks".  This is not uncommon after WLS.  Please take the steps to have an ultrasound done, you don't want to let this continue on for too long.  BTW: my GB surgery was a much easier experience and a quicker recovery than my WLS.  Day surgery, minimal pain.  Good luck.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Most Active
Recent Topics