2 years and need help with guidelines

Jen031114
on 1/23/16 8:21 pm

I had VSG two years ago in March.  I have lost 150 lbs, but still need to lose another 80lbs to be at my goal.  I have completely stopped losing and have gotten off track, and have started gaining again.  I know what I need to do to get back on track, but need some help with guidelines.  Calories, protein, carbs, etc?  All of the guidelines I'm finding are for within the first year.  Do I just need to go back to the beginning basics?  I know I can eat way more now than I could the first year, but I also know I shouldn't be!!  I've got to stop and get back to losing... 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/23/16 8:50 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

It's generally smart to check in with your surgeon, but in general:

• 600 - 800 cal
  • 60 - 80+ g protein
  • >40g carbs
  • 64+ oz water

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Laura in Texas
on 1/24/16 6:04 am

I believe you meant "less than" 40 g carbs.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/24/16 9:11 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Ah yeah! Pac-man eats the bigger number... With all my statistics education, I still mix it up sometimes, LOL!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

White Dove
on 1/24/16 9:45 am - Warren, OH

I always think of them as point forward or point backward

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ubserved
on 1/23/16 10:35 pm

Go back to basics, cut out the carbs, protein 90 grams a day or more which is what I was instructed, 64 oz's of water or more a day and walk walk walk. If you get hungry, make sure you have your PPI going to make sure it's not stomach acid playing with you. If you are still hungry, add another protein shake. Good luck.

acbbrown
on 1/23/16 11:22 pm - Granada Hills, CA

You lost 150 lbs which is awesome so you know what to do. But having been in the same boat with the regain, I know that "going back to basics" is often times not enough and we need to do more than that. I probably sound like a broken record but I'm a huge advocate of Overeaters anonymous. It has saved my life. PM me if you want to chat with someone who has been there. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

cappy11448
on 1/24/16 4:13 am

I'm so glad you are getting back on track now before it gets worse.  Good for you!

I'm about 2.5 years post op and in maintenance, and what I do when I need to lose some weight is:

1. I try to eat 1000 calories or less per day.
  2. I go low carb.  Carbs cause cravings for me, and there is no hope of success without low carbing it.
  3. I eat 3 meals a day - 3 and a snack or 4 if I'm really hungry.  But I keep them all really healthy.
  4. I eat dense protein first - 3 to 4 ounces per meal.
  5. I fill up on low carb veggies. broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, green salad, green peppers, etc.
  6. I make low carb, low calorie veggie dishes for snacking - like broccoli slaw, green bean and pine nuts, pan fried cabbage,  cucumber salad, etc.
  7. I cook tasty, low carb, low cal meals to help me resist the pizza and lasagna, etc.

It takes a while but when I get into the swing of it, it becomes easier.

There are some great ideas for recipes on the recipe forum.  Some that I use for getting back on track are:

1. Chicken in spicy peanut sauce - made with pb2
  2. crock pot balsamic chicken thighs
  3. stuffed green peppers
  4. crack slaw
  5. crock pot salsa chicken
  6. chicken Florentine
  7. pesto chicken
  8. ham and green bean casserole

There are lots of recipes on the forum and on the web that are tasty and healthy.  Personally, I need to have interesting food to help me resist the stuff I shouldn't eat. 

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

diane S.
on 1/24/16 11:42 am

Start reading the vsg maintenance group. see address below my signature. people there have reached goal or are close and are struggling with a little regain . many post their guidelines. read through some of the older posts as there is lots of good advice. gl. you can do this.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

rissa1224
on 1/25/16 9:30 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

Don't fret. Many of us have an issue, there's just a lot who say otherwise. I am in the same boat. I have cut back on carbs tremendously and have lost about 3lbs. I use myfitnesspal to help see what I am eating because you truly don't remember. It's also a plus to REALLY track carbs protein, and liquids. I aim for under 1,000 calories a day. I try to aim for less than 40g of carbs, and 90g or more of protein. if you need help and encouragement, PM me! We can do this together. I want to lose 14 more lbs (but main goal is a total of 36lbs) Sometimes chatting about things daily helps! Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics