Having band removed, need advise on whether or not to get sleeve!

Trude
on 1/21/16 7:34 am

I had my band surgery 7 years ago and it has been a nightmare.  Having revisional surgery to have it removed, but unsure if I want to get the sleeve.  My biggest complaint (aside from blockage) with the band is that although food was restricted, I never felt full or satisfied.  I don't need to feel "stuffed", but satiated would be nice :)  Does the sleeve give you that sensation?  With the band, the tiny pouch would be full, but the rest of my stomach was empty, therefore I never felt full.  So I eat my tiny meal but am still left feeling hungry unless I graze all day.  I think we all know how dangerous that is!  My hope is that with the sleeve, since you are actually filling your now smaller stomach, you do actually feel "full" or satiated.  Is that a pipe dream? Can anyone give me some insight on this?  Thank you!!!

acbbrown
on 1/21/16 8:41 am - Granada Hills, CA

For the most part, for a year or so after surgery I had no feelings in my stomach unless I had that one bite too many and made myself uncomfortable. Don't count on physical sensations to really tell you when to stop. Your doctor should give you a solid plan that tells you how much you should be eating at one time. If he does t have such a plan- get a new surgeon. 

in my experience - the concept of being satiated is part physical and part mental. Eating slow and mindfully are required to achieve this satiation. 

Now at 4.5 yrs out, I have a good gage on how much I need to eat to have a balance between hungry and full. While I do like to feel full, I don't try to aim for that feeling anymore. It's just something that comes in time which is why it's super important to have a good post op plan. My surgeon didn't give me **** beyond the first three stages - once I hit solids I was on my own with the exception of having OH and learning about others plans and what was appropriate etc. 

search for threads on undereating your sleeve. There have been excellent posts on this topic over the years by some very successful sleevers. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

psychoticparrot
on 1/21/16 9:06 am

Had the band for 10 years. An absolute nightmare is right! AND gain 60 pounds with it too.

Comparing the band with the sleeve is like comparing a child's toy truck with a full-sized pickup. The sleeve is the only thing that has actually proven effective for me. If you eat the way your surgeon and nutritionist will tell you, you will feel comfortably full (not stuffed) on tiny portions that I wouldn't have believed possible before surgery. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Recent Topics