Eggs and beef after surgery?

bubbyjane
on 1/24/16 1:24 pm
VSG on 01/20/16

Hi-

I just had my sleeve surgery on Wednesday, Jan. 20th.  Today is my second day home from the hospital.  I can already tell that eating food is going to be a different experience once I get there.  Right now struggling to get the shakes and clear liquids into me.  I am not hungry at all, but I see today the liquids are going down a bit easier than yesterday.  I think all this is an incredible journey.  I've decided to not think about all the foods I've eaten in the past and to concentrate on what works best for me now.  I would think that chicken, turkey, tofu, fish would go down easier than beef, veal or lamb. Could be you need to do this is stages. Start with the items that speak to you and go down easy. After awhile you can try the other things again.  Maybe at that time they will be good.  I'm down 15 pounds from my pre-op diet and post surgery.  I actually had some of my married kids over Friday night for dinner. They cooked their food, I sat at the table with my cranberry flavored water while they pigged out on lots of foods I really like.  As I looked around the table at all the food, not only was I not tempted, I had no cravings, and was able to acknowledge to myself that I will not be eating these foods for a very long time, maybe never again, because most were not very healthy.  Everyone tells me, as I'm sure they are telling you, that with time all of this gets better.  Good luck!

Donna L.
on 1/24/16 4:43 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Eggs sat in my stomach like a rock for two months post-op.  I couldn't tolerate them at all, whether poached, scrambled, or whatever.  Beef I tolerated better if pureed.  I also had goat and lamb pureed for both pureed stage and soft foods.  I actually stayed on liquid for longer because of my tummy issues - everything was unpalatable.  Tilapia and salmon were great.  Hang in there :)

Chicken thighs in broth pureed or minced for soft food stage worked really well.  I still make "chicken soup" this way: thighs, cover in water, add some better than bullion, and add a bit of chopped veg.  I portion it out to be 4oz of meat with just enough liquid poured over.  Purees great and tastes good; usually requires no other seasoning.  Not as good as more elaborate chicken soup, but has great nutrition.

Bone broth is another great option, if a bit annoying to make.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics