Eggs and beef after surgery?

Tracy D.
on 1/19/16 9:06 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Don't get too sad because things will change with time.  I couldn't do hard-boiled eggs for months and anything with a little bit of grease made me super-nauseous (pork, sausage, beef).  However, that went away eventually.  

Get used to hearing this a lot:  everything is going to change, nothing is going to feel the same or be the same 6 months from now and especially 12 and 18 months from now.  This includes how you feel, your energy level, the way you look, what you wear, what you eat and how you feel about food.  It all changes and will keep on changing.  And that's a good thing! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/16 11:39 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Tracy, I do already notice some changes that are so nice, clothes being too loose, way more energy, better sleep, less body pain. I just need to cool my heels and wait to try stuff until further out. With how eggs make me feel thinking about them hard boiled makes me feel kinda gross haha. Thanks for your response. 

Grim_Traveller
on 1/19/16 9:24 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Avoid any ground meats, including sausage, for a while. Your brain is telling you they'll go down easier, but they don't. Meat is ground up because it is crappy meat -- tge toughest cuts, gristle, etc. It will sit like a rock.

Try a really good steak. Tenderloin. It's expensive, but you will be eating very little. It's very tender, and early on sits much better than most any other meat.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/16 11:47 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

I just went with sausage/ground meat because of my dietitians plan, but at this point I am back on turkey lunch meat. It just works better for me. But what you're saying makes perfect sense, thanks Grim.

michellemj
on 1/19/16 10:30 am

Tastes change. It took me about a year, closer to 2, before I could tolerate eggs, but even now (over 5yrs out), they need to be poached or a VERY soft scramble (or I make egg muffins). If I see a hard boiled egg, I still wanna hurl.

Stick with easy to digest foods. For me, I ate a lot of fish (tuna, salmon, scallops, shrimp). A great source of protein, easy to mush if I needed it.

and it won't last forever. Bunless burgers are one of my restaurant gotos, and since everyone is wanting to cut carbs/gluten, restaurants don't even look at you funny anymore. ;)

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/16 11:50 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Oh no then definitely don't look at hard boiled eggs haha. I know it will change, I am actually excited to see what changes every day, it's exciting. I do canned salmon, or kippers, canned oysters ,shrimp works well and I do turkey lunch meat for now that will have to suffice.

poplargreys
on 1/19/16 7:32 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

Eggs and steak/roast beef have never bothered me, but sausage and ground meats still make me queasy sometimes and I'm approaching 10 months out. Texture is HUGE for me post-op, as are smell and temperature, just as much as the flavor of what I'm eating. Before surgery, I wasn't nearly so picky!

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/16 12:00 am
VSG on 12/17/15

I was somewhat picky before surgery when it came to things like: I don't like most soups or casseroles, and I don't like a lot of sauces or gravies (I'm the only chubby bunny I know who doesn't love ranch) but when it came to protein I wasn't picky at all. Pork, Chicken, Beef, Seafood (my fav hands down) I'd eat it all. I didn't care if meat was a bit overcooked (with the exception of steak it has to be medium rare) or wasn't the best quality. I liked a lot of foods cold as much as or more than hot before surgery, bacon, potatoes and pizza as well as steak are examples. Now I like food warm if it's supposed to be warm and cold if it's supposed to be cold. Smell is killer for me and has been for a big portion of my life, when I was little until my mid teens if I smelled food I didn't like cooking I'd often gag/vomit. Luckily I grew out of that, until I had surgery. Food smells are starting to bother me a lot again. One of the teams at work had some sort of panda express or chinese food thing for their team day tonight and even though before surgery I loved chinese food something about the smell of it in the break room sent me running for the bathroom, luckily I just gagged puking at work would blow.

diane S.
on 1/23/16 11:24 am

Don't worry. In the early months after vsg its not unusual for most foods to be unappealing. Just don't eat beef until it becomes more appetizing. Ditto for egg. So long as you get enough protein it doesn't matter.  Things will be different in a few months.  diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/16 10:28 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Thanks Diane! I know things will change I am just in a funk with turkey and salmon every day. But I am slowly introducing other things.  

Most Active
Recent Topics