I know you will tell me to chill out

sunshine-n-rainbowz8

on 1/18/16 3:00 pm

I know you will tell me to chill out but I just HAVE to ask if I am doing something wrong. I will be 3 weeks out Thur and I have lost 17 lbs! While I am super excited about that, 15 of that was in the first week. I had problems with keeping liquids down and had a longer stay in the hospital. My surgeon is pretty liberal with advancing diets, so I have been on pureed/mushies since 6 days out. I lost 1 lb last week and 1 lb this week. I know that my body is playing catch up but I also just want to make sure I am not doing something wrong. I have another appt this Friday where they will probably let me advance to food! I will try to get in touch with the Nut/RN affiliated with my surgeon's office but wanted to ask you all for opinions as well.

I am eating about 500-750 calories a day. When I asked the nurse she told me not to worry about calories or carbs right now just try to get 50g of protein and 64oz of water in. She said to do 5 small meals, using shakes as needed to get in my protein. I was drinking a delicious low carb protein shake from EAS Advantage but I am worried maybe I shouldnt because it is whey protein concentrate.... does it matter... should it be whey protein isolate like my Unjury is??

For the majority of the days (all but 2 or 3) I have gotten at least 50 g of protein in and all of my water. Though I am using crystal light, which should not matter. I am willing to let anyone look at myfitness pal if they want. Maybe I am eating too much cheese?? There are just not many options in the pureed stage.

I have not started exercising as I have not been released for that, though I have gotten out of the house and went shopping several times, walking around. As soon as I am released, I will be working out :)

I am taking my vitamins. I take a Walgreens multivitamin with Iron.

Any advice or suggestions or improvements I can make to get this scale moving a little better?

JudithJohnson
on 1/18/16 3:59 pm
VSG on 12/03/15

Yes! I have advice! Put the scale away! Only weight yourself once a week at the most. Your body is going to go through many adjustments and is going to stal at times to readjust and then start losing again. I filled out when I went from liquids to soft foods and gained 2 lbs, and very recently I had a stall at 283 lbs for 9 whole days. Put the scale away, even though weight may not come off, inches do. The body didn't gain all this weight in a straight line and you won't lose it that way either. Get the protein in, get the water in, keep walking and indeed, chill out you are well on your way to a healthier and happier you! Whey protein is better then soy, I use unjury and the premier protein from Costco. You're doing nothing wrong, keep moving forward, follow your doctor's instructions and give your body some time to heal and catch up with you!

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

Neonanrs
on 1/18/16 4:13 pm

You' re doing fine.....if you want the weight to come off faster try sticking to just protein and water for a little while.  But remember that you might be in the 3 week stall phase and my dr said one way to break a stall is to eat more protein try getting to 60 grams of protein then you wont have room to bother with anything else.

Just trying to help, we are all in this together.

Surgery date 9-23-15, SW: 212 CW: 125

Doctors goal reached in 6 months. Personal goal reached in 11 months

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/18/16 5:16 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Click on the little magnifying glass in the title bar and type in "3 Week Stall."

It's normal.  Don't freak out.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

SilverGirl2015
on 1/18/16 5:26 pm

I was slow losing weight at first, and I was very frustrated.  I just put the scale away, because it was hurting my feelings and I just didn't need the negativity!!  Have you tried Premier Protein shakes?  They have 30 grams of protein.  Another good idea is to use flavorless protein powder and mix it into low fat low cal yogurt.  It makes it easier to get your protein grams up without adding a lot of calories.  I like the Yoplait Greek 100's, and recently tried the Whipped Greek 100's - good stuff.  For a while early on I was also mixing the protein powder into sugar free pudding, it was another easy way to get the protein without the calories.  I had trouble eating eggs and cheese in the first couple of months so was really looking for alternatives.  Listen to the nutritionist, look for VSG friendly recipes on Pinterest, experiment!!!

The weight does start falling off, you'll see!  

Juligan
on 1/18/16 7:57 pm

In regard to your comment that there aren't many options in the pureed stage, I think you'd be surprised. Anything that you enjoy that is high in protein can be pureed. I put a whole chicken in the crockpot with some seasoning and quite a bit of broth and cooked it all day. The chicken is falling off the bone tender and moist. You just need to throw a little of the chicken and some of the juice into the blender and puree it. When you move on to soft stage this chicken is perfect and delicious.

You can puree chili or any meat with gravy/sauce. I love the stewed shredded chicken with onions and peppers they serve at a local Mexican restaurant and I plan to try that pureed when my time comes. Refried beans are a good choice. Soups pureed to remove chunks. Pureed tuna, egg, or chicken with a little mayo and seasoning. Basically, if anything sounds tasty to you, throw it in the blender.

There are many recipes to be found online, like ricotta bake.

Madrina
on 1/23/16 2:58 pm
VSG on 12/23/15

Puréed black bean soup. Blend Can black beans, drained and rinsed, good quality salsa, seasoning and broth to desired consistency. It's delicious and was my staple. I also puréed chicken with my cuisinart and added Greek yogurt for more protein (taste like chicken salad) with seasoning.  Soft scramble with skim milk and added low fat feta for more protein. Delish. 

Most Active
Recent Topics