Advice please.

ocean4dlm
on 1/18/16 3:38 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

It sounds like you sure have your head in the right place ! "Your metabolism is reset and you can add bac**** cream." Your common sense screamed, "No!" and you were right ! Good for you ! The disordered eating that led to our surgeries doesn't magically go away when we reach goal !

Again, your instincts are right on. After your dense protein, begin adding back more veggies then fruit. A half a banana once in a while is something I enjoy. Healthy fats, like nuts and seeds are also good to sprinkle on a salad. You are right to be alert to trigger foods, which are different for different people. Continuing to weigh and measure has been critical to my success.

I have set a five pound goal range for myself. I also recommend continuing in weight loss mode until reaching the bottom of that range, then adding back 100 calories a wee****il your weight stabilizes.

You have got this !! I continue to benefit from the collective wisdom on this board.... you will too !!

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

happycampertoo
on 1/18/16 6:26 am
VSG on 04/06/15

Thank you for your response!  I am so thankful for all the support and advice.  Have a great week.

mmsmom
on 1/18/16 5:06 am - Woburn, MA

First off - lose the 2 lbs and get to your goal for your own satisfaction.  Secondly, you know where you feel/look good and at a size 8 you are at a very normal and acceptable weight/size.  As to how you maintain, I believe that's up to you.  I, personally, didn't have this surgery to never eat a cookie again.  My  philosophy is that as long as I am "in control" - I eat everything in moderation.  If my weight starts to creep up, I scale back.  Not everyone can do that... and I cannot do that 100% of the time, but so far I have done well with this strategy (almost 2 years and weighed in at 125 this am ((my goal weight)).  Good luck - listen to everyone's advice and do what your heart/head tells you is right.

VSG on 04/28/2014

happycampertoo
on 1/18/16 6:31 am
VSG on 04/06/15

I am definitely going to lose those 2 pounds. :)  I have lowered my goal as I realized that I could do better.  It is amazing to me that I have lost so much weight and continue to do so.  For once I feel in control.   Yea!  Thank you for your insight.  I appreciate the help and advice.  Onward I go.

Lisa167
on 1/18/16 9:23 am
VSG on 08/14/14

My NUT explained to me that maintenance was just doing the same thing.  There's nothing really magical about maintenance.  Nothing to fear or stress about.  You know what works, keep doing it.  Your body weight will stabilize.

Our plan was about tracking protein and getting our water in.  Then eating our veggies, then fruits.  If I could get more veggies in with my meal, great (starches last).  So my meals may get bigger, but not with "junk", lol.

I'm a little surprised with what your surgeon had to say.  But they are all a little different.  He just seems a little more out there than others I've heard of.  YOU know what your triggers are, etc.  I know that once in a while I can have a little (1/4 cup) of ice cream and I'll be fine.  But that's a treat, not my regular meal/snack plan.  I know I can't keep a bag of chips in the house ;-)

I would say do what works for YOU - that's what it's all about isn't it?

happycampertoo
on 1/18/16 2:58 pm
VSG on 04/06/15

I like the idea of just staying with what I am doing. I actually enjoy what I eat and having the ability to say no thank you to the things I know are not good for me. I have raised my eyebrows a few times at my surgeon thru the process, but this seemed so against all the guidelines I have read here.  I am so thankful for this site. Thank you for weighing in on the subject. I appreciate your response. 

Most Active
Recent Topics