Instant Pot Goodness, part 2

happyteacher
on 1/16/16 2:39 pm

It has now been a few weeks with the new Instant Pot. I am in love! Not only is it meeting my needs splendidly, but I actually do not want to go out to eat anymore! My husband actually complained a bit last night (our traditional date night) that we were not going out to dinner. I had, instead, made mac and cheese (start to finish 25 minutes). 

Since my first thread on this I have also made yogurt, and that is super easy and makes a lot. Using the IP is much easier than my old yogurt maker! Now my greek yogurt costs is under $3 a week for about 1.5 quarts or a tad more. Anyway, I know a couple of folks bought one after my first thread- If you haven't checked out the Facebook group on it, take a look. I am finding a ton of great posts/ideas/tips that is really helping me to mix things up at home. This has been a perfect match for the restricted diet (full liquid/very very soft food) that I have been stuck on for a bit here, and not to mention I can't deal with fat anything and the IP doesn't require it. Very pleased!

If anyone out there has a favorite recipe send it along! The mac and cheese I made I suppose could be used on a weight loss phase diet due to not eating a full portion, but that for me at least is more of a maintenance dish. If you are interested in it here is a link for the recipe- I substituted low fat evaporated milk and used Cracker Barrel reduced fat extra sharp cheddar, and Barilla protein pasta. That really kicked up the nutritional profile, but it is still not "diet". I couldn't eat it, but the picky husband approved, and my girls devour it. Here is a link.

If you have a favorite recipe do share!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Donna L.
on 1/16/16 5:03 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

This reminded me I forgot to make yogurt this week!

Also, I'll definitely try that recipe with cauliflower instead of pasta. :)

Nom Nom Paleo's Kalua pork recipe is probably one of my favorite IP ones.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Gwen M.
on 1/16/16 6:08 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

That was the first IP recipe I made :D  

I used the IP for every meal last week due to the condensed class I'm taking - my family is totally braised meat out.  We'd all rather eat braised meat than have to get take out... but I'm looking forward to using other cooking methods this coming week!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

happyteacher
on 1/16/16 6:59 pm

I am at the opposite end- if I can't just throw it in a pot and push a button I am not interested :) 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 1/16/16 6:56 pm

I will have to try it. I saw a similar recipe, but thought it lacked seasoning. But if you love it that much, it is worth a try!

Donna L.
on 1/17/16 1:07 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

You could easily jazz it up however you like, too!  I usually add a lot of toppings, and I will use it to make burrito bowls, or egg bakes, or stuff 1/4 a sweet potato, etc.  I'm a bit boring when it comes to seasoning, heh.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Mary Gee
on 1/16/16 6:31 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Glad you're loving your IP - since your post I've been checking out the recipes.  BUT .... Go Out On Date Night!! Don't disappoint your husband.  What a sad thing -- to be second fiddle to an IP. Your IP meals may taste better, but there's more to Date Night than the meal.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

happyteacher
on 1/16/16 6:58 pm

Nah, that wasn't the reason. I am recovering from surgery, and by the end of the work week I am exhausted and plain not feeling well. Hence, the IP was just a whole lot easier. My digestive system is a train wreck so eating out is waaaaayyyyyyy to much of a gamble at the moment!

Most Active
Recent Topics