Iron / Ferritin - levels

camel589
on 1/15/16 9:28 am

Hello all, first post here so be gentle.

VSG on 12/28 and all is going well with pureed foods stage, protein and liquids. Taking pills is not a problem either. 

I have a call into my Dr as well. but I figured I would throw it out there.....

Dr. sent me email saying need to take over the counter Iron- ferrous gluconate 325 mg a day because my Iron is low. My concern was that my Ferritin was almost double the standard range and I really do not want to go down the Iron / constipation route.

Any thoughts?

Component

Standard Range

Your Value

Iron

45 - 170 ug/dL

Ferritin

20 - 250 ng/mL

Bufflehead
on 1/15/16 9:32 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I would be trying to get my doctor to figure out the cause of my high ferritin. That would be concerning to me. I also would take the iron supplement to try to get the iron up to a normal range, but my primary concern would be figuring out the ferritin. Good luck!

acbbrown
on 1/15/16 9:46 am - Granada Hills, CA

Iron supps are important in my experience - my levels were fine until year 3 and they tanked FAST. 

When I take iron - I always take miralax and don't deal with constipation. And water. 

For what it's worth, on my research I think proferrin is the gentalist on the digestive system and has less restrictions with what you can take with it. But as always do your research on what might work best for you. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

betterme2014
on 1/15/16 10:48 am, edited 1/15/16 2:49 am - Canada

Lots of helpful info on this website.

She suggests hemme iron. I believe we can't absorb the other properly. The 'Iron Maiden' herself has had WLS. This is not a sales website just one with helpful info.

http://theironmaiden.ca/supplementation-options-for-adults/

White Dove
on 1/15/16 12:29 pm - Warren, OH

Contact your doctor for advice on the high ferritin and get his recommendation for an iron supplement considering your current level.  It sounds like he looked at the iron and did not notice the ferritin.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics