Does food compulsion ever go away?

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/15/16 9:21 am - MI

I think this is a fight I will fight all of my life. Like you I made sure I have the correct things in my fridge and cupboards, but it doesn't mean that I sure wouldn't like a piece of banana bread or an english muffin loaded with PB & Banana on it. I eliminate those things because I don't always have will power. I think I will continue to fight the and I think most of the time I will make good decisions.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

NYMom222
on 1/15/16 10:21 am
RNY on 07/23/14

For me I will never be 'normal'... I think I have to remind myself of that so I don't fall into the delusion that I can just eat anything. Kudos to you for resisting temptation. Will we be perfect? I don't think so, but it is a daily battle...and you pick yourself up and move on.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

billmacc7
on 1/15/16 10:27 am - MA

No advice for you however thank you for posting the topic as even five years out I struggle every day still, advice from others was awesome

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

Darcy G.
on 1/15/16 12:59 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Still pre-op, but have to say the absolute hardest thing about all this for me so far(6 months in) is everyone else in my house and the utter nutritionless crap they eat.

TL/DR; It's much harder to eat smart when there are people around, but if you turn into a raging loon, compromise might be attainable...

I got very sick a couple years ago and moved home, so I'm in my parents house. Every year my mom makes 8-10 batches of fudge to give away, and keeps one batch. This year, the house smelled like fudge from right after Thanksgiving through to probably last week. That scent lingers.  Either that or I just THINK I can still smell it because of the mind-scramble caused by having it around.

I fought back/kept control three ways:

1) I won't let them keep the things I like the most(like FUDGE) within the main traffic area of the kitchen. I put the delicious crappy foods out of sight at the far end of the auxiliary cabinet/countertop way on the other side of the room(it's a massive eat-in kitchen with room for a 4-person round table and an 8-person rectangular table), out of sight... mostly out of mind. I've since been considering cleaning out a cabinet of barely-used junk just so I can have a place to stick that stuff to keep from seeing it. A Crap-Food Pantry...

2) I also kept giving their fudge away :) After the last batch was made, anytime someone dropped in to visit, I wouldn't let them leave without taking some fudge with them.

3) By Christmas, it had been a non-stop fudgeapalooza for everyone but me in this house for a solid month. I got through the last weeks of it by secretly telling myself when there was only one piece left, I could have it... that way I couldn't have more than one piece if I wanted to. Then there was one piece... and I told myself I could have it the next day... For three days running. Someone finally ate it before I snapped.

I'm hoping that it gets easier. When I'm not putting up with certain trigger foods being always about, I don't feel like I'm being deprived. I'd like to be able to have them around and still not feel deprived, you know?

Most Active
Recent Topics