Intantpot pressure cooker- kitchen gadget disease

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/16 12:59 pm, edited 1/9/16 5:00 am

Did you get an Instapot? If so, which model? 

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Cuisinart, should I get one. 

happyteacher
on 1/9/16 4:13 pm

I did. I looked over the Cuisinart model, but am very glad I purchased what I did. Here is a link to the exact model. It was a very big deal to me to have the yogurt making option. Instantpot makes a slightly cheaper version that is only 6 in 1, which does not allow for yogurt. Made my first batch today with it. 1 gallon of milk, some starter, and a little dried milk. It turned out fantastic and this makes A LOT more than what I can kick out with my yogurt maker. Cost of 2 quarts of fabulous quality (buries what you buy in a store) greek yogurt is about $2.25.  It is worthwhile to ensure with whatever you buy you get a stainless steel pot. The coated ones do not last long at all relative to the stainless.  

Your awesome goulash soup by the way, done in under 30 minutes on my stovetop model. Not sure with the instantpot how many additional minutes due to it needing a bit longer to get to pressure and a little longer for natural release- but still  a whole lot less time than simmering for hours. My hubby LOVED the soup by the way!! And that was even with me mucking up the ingredients a bit, as I did not have the correct stuff on hand so I made substitutions.

Devin, in all seriousness with what our classrooms do to our personal time the pressure cooker is a no-brainer for us elementary school teachers!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 1/9/16 11:36 am

Since you are a virgin consider this cookbook, and be sure to read the beginning that explains the do's and don'ts of pressure cooking. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/9/16 2:16 pm

I have the 7 in 1 Instant pot 6 quarts. Love that thing. So much that I got a second one on black Friday. It is SS insert so no worry about nonstick stuff coming off. It canalbreeused as a slow cooker... 

It does saute option so - on pot meal is a blast.  Any type of stew, pork, beef chicken, lamb... Or chillie... 

Cleaning is a blast - just put some water in the pot - put on pressure for a short run.. .no scrubbing... 

The turn it on and walk away is amazing... No more shove cleaning after things gets boiled over... 

If you are not in a rush - they are always going on sale... I bought one for $130.. On black Friday I paid $73 for a second one.... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 1/9/16 3:58 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Even though I live by myself I was contemplating a second one during black friday, too.  It's saved me so much money over eating crap I used to buy that it's ridiculous and makes me cringe at all the money I wasted on fast food stuff getting obese.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

happyteacher
on 1/9/16 4:15 pm, edited 1/9/16 8:21 am

I am totally getting a second one if I can get it at the price! Normally over the holiday break we go out to eat a lot. I am pretty sure just by using it so much it has already paid for itself. My only problem is that I have been cooking so much my fridge is jammed with leftovers and the hubby is complaining that there is too much!

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/9/16 5:52 pm

I freeze my leftovers In 1-2 cup jars.  Label and have ready in 2-3 weeks. 

Today I fixed my BF spaghetti with meat sauce..while I have beef stew.. 

I have chunky chicken soup, pork roast, beef stew (2 different recipes), spaghetti meat sauce..all in individual serving like containers- jars, frozen. Label and dated. So I can pick different meals for us if that is what we want.  If I want spaghetti - I get veggi noddles and my BF gets the real thing... 

Having homemade ready to eat stuff is really great.  

BTW - since the pressure cooker does not lose liquid (no evaporation), there can be a lot of liquids in my dishes. So I typically strain my stew and use the extra liquid as a nice soup base, or to make homemade egg drop soups. And I have thick stew that is perfect for my pouch.  

I can grab a jar or  on a way to work and have a perfect lunch.  Spaghetti sauce is great with some pork rinds also. 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

happyteacher
on 1/9/16 6:09 pm

We also got a food storage sealer thingy at Christmas- my freezer is jammed. It is really bad. 3 varieities of rice, bourban chicken, orange chicken- the list goes on and on. I could not cook for a month. I guess that is a side effect of my sugury- feel good enough to cook in small spurts, but not well enough to get out of the house to entertain myself! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/9/16 6:18 pm

Last year we upgraded from 20 c.f. freezer to 26 c.f. upright frost free freezer. Just 2 people. And the fridges (2) and freezers are full... 

happyteacher
on 1/10/16 4:40 am

I hear you. We have an upright that is about 6 feet tall- not sure how much that translates into capacity, but it is really big. We have 2 refridgerators, but one is dedicated to just beer. Everything is past capacity- open a door and crap flies out kind of thing. I am starting to recognize that this in and of itself is a hang up about food. I only have 3 of us now that live at home, me and my tiny portions and my emaciated daughter who eats very little. I think I like playing with food too much in, but at least freeze my way out of it instead of just overeating. I need to work on getting a better balance. 

Most Active
Recent Topics