How much of me will the doctor see? :P

psychoticparrot
on 1/7/16 9:00 am, edited 1/7/16 1:00 am

After you go under anesthesia, you'll be uncovered and very briefly exposed, probably only to the nurses, who will then drape you with sterile sheets to expose only the area -- your abdomen -- that the surgeon will need to have access to. No matter what you think you look like to them, they won't care. For them, it's just another day at the office.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/16 11:26 am - Hilliard, OH
WLS on 07/27/15

Noting under the gown, and when they are doing the surgery, it's wide open. I didn't have a catheter or anything, but every time my surgeon or one of the nurses (mine were all male. hahah ) would come in to check on my incisions, they'd pull down my blanket, lift up my gown, and I'm pretty sure they could see my whole fupa. lol  I couldn't have cared less. This is their job - they've seen it all before. 

No one will judge you. Don't worry :)

Tink3125
on 1/7/16 11:49 am
VSG on 12/01/15

Honestly, you will never see these people in the OR again so it does not matter.  Focus on the new life you are going to have and how wonderful it will be!

hollykim
on 1/7/16 2:10 pm, edited 1/7/16 11:01 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

On January 7, 2016 at 3:50 PM Pacific Time, LosinginAZ wrote:

Okay, this is going to be a strange question, but I have to ask. I am very modest, do not like to show much skin, etc. How much of me is the surgeon going to see? Am I only going to be wearing a gown and nothing under it? Sorry to ask, I know it sounds weird, but it makes me nervous to not at least have undies on lol 

it will be a complete frontal. After you are asleep they will completely take your gown off so it won't bunch up and be in. The anesthetist way. 

After you are asleep you are not a person anymore just a body they are working on. They don't care what you look like and you won't care cause you will be sound asleep.  Plus, they will also scrub you with a surgical scrub solution from chest to groin and all the way down your sides to where your body meets the table. The gown is not clean and after you are scrubbed you are then "clean" and ready to be draped with sterile drapes  and nothing can touch you after that but something's/someone who is in the sterile field and is scrubbed and sterile gowned. 

It  is serious business,keeping you safe and un infected. Your modesty is the least important thing. 

This is their job,not a peep show. They are  professionals and trust me if they want to look at bodies it will be some really good looking ones online,not our big saggy selves. :)

retired surgical nurse.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/7/16 2:30 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Be careful when you sign all the paperwork right before surgery. They tried to slip a form in with mine saying it was ok for the surgeon to post my nekkid pictures on YouTube.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

emelar
on 1/7/16 3:25 pm - TX

You signed it, right? I'm going looking at YouTube right now!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/7/16 3:58 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You'll need the password for the adult version. The password is HOLYCRAP. One word, all caps.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Chanti_
on 1/8/16 11:25 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

As a nurse who works in the OR.. no one cares about your girly parts. Unless your vajazzeled or something, it's all pretty routine.  It's kind of like seen one seen em all.  That being said, I was on my period during my VSG and they let me keep my underwear on.. SCORE!  My surgeon only has a operative time of around 30 mins so no urinary catheter required.   Good luck with your surgery, it's a life changer.  

LosinginAZ
on 1/8/16 11:32 am

Maybe I will just tell them that so I can keep my undies on lol Thanks for the advice :)

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

Donna L.
on 1/8/16 2:14 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

They use surgical drapes for sterility, but they also provide modesty.  They will not leave immodest views open.

They will probably not let you wear underwear, but they might!  In some ways it's better to not, as once I had emergency surgery and mine wound up all stained from betadine and removed anyway, so they could insert the catheter.  However, I would talk with them.  If you are very modest, there is nothing wrong with that, and in my experience most medical professionals try to be respectful about that for everyone in general.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics