Did you lose with diet and exercise?

JoeyJo
on 1/6/16 8:17 pm - NJ

At my annual mammogram today, the nurse was shocked by my weight loss and asked if I lost the weight by "diet and exercise". I said yes, and added that I had gastric sleeve surgery.  

She dismissively said, "oh ... by surgery" as she noted it in my chart. I said yes, I had surgery, but unfortunately it only works with diet and exercise.  Y'know, like simply paying for Weigh****chers doesn't mean the weight comes off or stays off.  

I'm glad I said it, but it did not get through.  Pffft. (I didn't need the big purple gown.)

Shel25
on 1/6/16 9:46 pm

Congratulations for not needing the big purple gown!  In one of my doctor's office they always had to hunt for several minutes for the big purple gown as if I was the only woman of size that came into the office.

As for the nurse....well, pfft says it all

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

KathyA999
on 1/6/16 11:54 pm

Love the analogy - just paying for Weigh****chers doesn't mean you lose the weight automatically.  I'm going to use that!

p.s. Also love that I don't need the big gown at the doctor's office anymore either.  Woo hoo!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Paula1965
on 1/7/16 5:51 am
VSG on 04/01/15

Good for you! I also like your analogy!

I'm my PCPs office the smaller folks get scratchy paper gowns to use - I am happy to not need the larger gown but at least it was a more comfortable cloth one!

What really irked me was last time I was at my Bariatric surgeon's office - the medical assistant that was rooming me (doing the initial intake of information/vitals) and pulled out the big blood pressure cuff and wrapped it around my arm (I'm at a 22 BMI and have tiny arms). I said "I don't need that cuff anymore" and she said "eh" with a shrug and proceeded to use it anyway. I probably could use a pediatric cuff at this point. Can you say inaccurate blood pressure measurement or what!

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

Nick S.
on 1/7/16 7:03 am - Detroit, MI
VSG on 12/22/15

Nice job on the gown victory! Most people don't understand what the surgery does, and even more people are too ignorant to care either way. I don't put energy into trying to explain it anymore.

When someone says "oh you had surgery to lose weight?" I reply with "Hell yeah I did!" And a smile. We all know we've taken the hard route to healthy living. The good news is, our weight loss will last instead of bouncing up and down like non-surgery losers!  

Heaviest: 335   Currently: 190

VSG in December 2015

suzyq584
on 1/7/16 7:45 am

I love this and am going to steal it and use it in my responses!!!  

"Y'know, like simply paying for Weigh****chers doesn't mean the weight comes off or stays off."

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

Luvmygs
on 1/7/16 7:48 am
VSG on 12/04/14

People are just not educated about WLS. Good for you, we had WLS and proud of it. It;s alot of work now the we're post op but its our new life style.

Tracy D.
on 1/7/16 8:32 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

God, that's so frustrating, isn't it? I hate people who are dismissive of all the effort it takes to lose weight, whether you have surgery or not! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

JudithJohnson
on 1/7/16 8:56 am
VSG on 12/03/15

Yay for no big gowns!

I am baffled that someone who is supposedly a healthcare professional would say something like that. I must say my doctor has been extremely supportive of my surgery but I have had people telling me "Oh you took the easy way out". They don't understand that this ain't no walk in the park to do this and that most of us have had years and years of massive struggles before we even got to the point we were courageous enough to have the surgery. You can either opt to educate them or to let them be ignorant. Most people think it's a solution, but we know it is a tool that will only help if you put the work and effort in.

I am keeping the weigh****chers comment, priceless!!!

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

psychoticparrot
on 1/7/16 9:12 am

I've only encountered one person post-op (and I told everybody about my surgery) who kinda snorted when she heard about it. I ignore such people. Don't ever feel that you have to justify your surgery to anyone. Instead of getting defensive about it, just smile pityingly at her ignorance, then let it go. It's not your responsibility to change other people's attitudes, which is an exercise in futility anyway. You know what the surgery and your hard work accomplished. That's all that matters.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Recent Topics