Eating more week before/during period

fatdarling
on 1/15/16 1:03 pm
VSG on 12/30/14

Hello, I'm new here so if this has been discussed, please disregard.

I had sleeve surgery on 12/30/14, and I've lost 134 lbs. Currently sitting at 180 lbs. (my IG is @fatdarling for anyone wanting to see pictures) ..

My questions/concern is this: the week before/during my period, I feel like my sleeve LEGIT doesn't work. I can eat more than normal. I haven't tried weighing the food I'm eating yet, but I just know for a fact that it's more than my normal consumption. When I'm not approaching or on my period, for example, I can eat approx. HALF of a low carb sandwich. But right now (week before period) I was able to eat the entire sandwich. That's never happened before, but I truly wasn't getting hungry until the last 2 bites. I don't know if this is normal....

One of my friends told me that our hormones can make our stomachs "expand" and cause us to eat more during this time, but I haven't been able to find any documentation supporting this theory. Any help/advice? I feel like a bottomless pit & it's caused me to stall. When I hit 11 months post op, this started, and I've bounce between 180-187 ever since then. Sooo frustrating :(

White Dove
on 1/15/16 4:48 pm, edited 1/15/16 8:48 am - Warren, OH

It is not premenstrual hormones that expanded your sleeve.  It is the natural growth of your sleeve that is at or close to its mature size.  You can no longer rely on restriction to stop you from eating more calories than you need. 

To continue losing weight and maintain what you have lost you will need to carefully track, weigh and measure.  You need about 1900 calories a day to keep from losing.  To lose a pound a week you need to cut back to about 1400.  My goal is 136 and I gain on anything over 1400.  To lose a pound a week I cut back to 900 a day.  I weigh and measure and track all food.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

happyteacher
on 1/15/16 4:56 pm

I was the same. It took me a bit to figure out though. I logged EVERYTHING that I ate and weighed in frequently with my Aria scale automatically uploading. I realized after a couple of months that my weight graph showed a crystal clear pattern associated with my period. Once I realized this, I planned for it. I craved carbs during this time, and once I started eating them I REALLy craved carbs. Instead, I would keep raw veggies and such around for quick snacking, and made my meals lower cal options. I cannot confirm from a research stance about the hormonal fluctuations impacting the eating, but I would swear from my personal experience that it is true :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/15/16 5:05 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

For me usually at that time I crave carbs, like more than usual. The cookie call is especially strong at that time, plus I'd feel all emotional & weepy & it'd **** me off & then I really want to satisfy my carb craving. Usually I'd up my protein or snack on cheese & just accept that at that time I have too be really, really careful on what I eat. I haven't noticed a change in my restriction, just cravings.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

MAchick
on 1/16/16 8:57 am
VSG on 01/27/14

Hormones don't play a role in the restriction of your stomach.  More than likely, your body craves foods that are not dense enough to trigger the pyloric valve and restriction. Try buckling down on your dense protein intake when craving**** and see if it helps! 

Also, I think I liked a post of yours on IG last week! 

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/16 1:37 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I had RNY, but my hunger goes through the roof when I'm on my period. I'm still satiated with a fairly small amount, but I notice a lot more hunger in the hours leading up to mealtime and usually eat 200-300 more calories per day (usually with a few days after when I have no appetite at all). No idea why; just know that you're not alone.    My TrendWeight graph shows a pretty clear trend for water retention during my period, too.

fatdarling
on 2/18/16 12:08 pm
VSG on 12/30/14

Thank you all for your responses. I'm sorry I'm late on getting back to you. It's been a month since my post, and I came back to check on it, because it's that time of month AGAIN, and I'm going through this again. HAHA! I'm convinced that this is just how my body is. Sometimes we can't explain it, and I guess that's ok.

Thank yall again! 

Most Active
Recent Topics