Convenience

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/16 10:43 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Happyteacher thank you for replying, your comments are always thoughtful. I understand what you mean and I don't want to slip into using even the 'healthier' options at fast food instead of cooking or preparing food for myself. Tonight I had some canned salmon and used low sodium soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and spices to give it an Asian taste profile. It was delicious and I have two more portions made up in the fridge waiting for tomorrow. I'm definitely not a traditional cook but I do have the traditional skill set taught by my mother who is hands down the best cook in our extended family (everyone say so). Believe me when I say I could whip up a meal if I had the time and patience I could be a regular Suzy homemaker, but with my career (insurance agent) and going back to school I don't want to prep/cook for hours especially since I don't have other human mouths to feed. Unfortunately the nearest Trader Joe's is about 50 miles away in another state so that is a once or maybe twice a month trip. I went recently and got some of their fat free refried beans and they are better quality/taste than any other brand of canned beans I've tried including national/restaurant brands. I also love how much they sell that is local and made by their company, also they pay their employees a living wage and give them decent benefits, I just keep hoping they build one closer to me soon.

NYMom222
on 1/11/16 1:07 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Love Costco Chicken. I live alone, and one of the things I've found helpful when I do make whatever is to divvy it up in portions right away. I've stocked up on some glass one cup containers, but you can always buy them from the dollar store too. Less thinking involved, just pull a portion out. I try to make one or two recipes a the beginning of the week, and then eat them all week.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

robinreinhardt
on 1/11/16 3:45 pm

I'm totally with you on this. I am not a suzy homemaker either and have done very well over the past 13 months. Just listen to Gwen and read all labels and measure all food. Good luck.

Robin

cappy11448
on 1/12/16 4:56 am

Grocery store rotissary chickens are a staple in my diet.  I think they are fine.  For other prepared foods, I read the package label.  Most have too many carbs.  Even meatballs... 

I found that I had to cook a lot to eat healthy.  For me, I need to have interesting, tasty foods to help me resist the lasagna and pizza that I would dearly like to eat.  I cook in quantity and will eat the same dish for a few days, so I only have to cook two or three times a week.

For example,  Sunday I made a crustless hamburger quiche, and buffalo chicken.  Today I'll make a ham and green bean casserole.  Together with the salmon that I keep on hand, I'll be set for most of the week.

Best of luck finding the balance in food prep.  It takes a commitment to make this work, but it is so worth it to be healthy again.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Recent Topics