Convenience

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/16 1:55 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Hi all, happy Saturday (I work today, boo). I had a question about convenience food. So here it is; obviously I know fast food is a no-no (I almost don't crave it or think about it anymore as I learn to control head hunger) but what about things like pre-roasted chicken from the store? So instead of having to cook my own chicken for a week is it bad/wrong to buy a whole roasted chicken from Costco for $5 and use that as my protein for several days? I mean of course still weighing/measuring portions. It just seems so much more conducive to my lifestyle. It's not that I don't want to commit to my health and a better me but with work (hopefully) going back to school in the fall, and my miscellaneous stuff it just would be easier if some weeks I could use a pre-made protein. Or what about frozen meatballs? Pre-made burger patties etc? If the nutrients are acceptable (low carb high protein etc) is it okay to lean on those things? I just don't know that I can become Suzy Homemaker overnight. It's not that I won't happily throw together a crockpot roast/bbq(with no sugar bbq sauce) pulled meat meal but what about those days where I am thin only on time? Thoughts?

Gwen M.
on 1/9/16 1:59 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

As long as you read the ingredients for hidden ingredients like carbs and sugars, it's totally fine.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/16 2:05 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Thank you Gwen! 

Bufflehead
on 1/9/16 2:32 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

hmm, I'll get back to you when I'm done fixing lunch, which consists of Trader Joe's frozen turkey meatballs, Trader Joe's arrabiata sauce from a jar, and Trader Joe's frozen broccoli florets.

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/16 12:59 am
VSG on 12/17/15

I love Trader Joe's but the closest one to me is 50 miles away and so tiny so I only go once a month. Your reply made me giggle, thank you. 

Donna L.
on 1/9/16 2:39 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I batch cook that stuff when I have 2-3 hours free.  I had one day off all of January (literally) as I work 80 hour weeks and am in grad school.  I was able to make about 40 nights of meals for me in one afternoon.  I am definitely no Suzy Homemaker!  But, I now have "fast food" of my own that works great!  If I can anyone can.

However I learned the hard way to not make a full batch of low carb chicken soup if I don't want to eat it forever!  One pot is a million 4 ounce portions.  I may turn into chicken soup aftter this month, haha.  

I did use convenience foods, but I found the plainer ones were easier on my stomach.  The Costco chicken sits very well in teeny stomach.  Processed meatballs are usually uncomfortable.  I forget who makes it, but they sometimes have frozen and grilled fish fillets that are quick to heat up too.  If you eat soy, Morningstar Farms makes single-serve veggie burgers that are decent and not bad protein or calorie-wise.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Gwen M.
on 1/9/16 4:10 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I really like their "sausage" breakfast patties.  They're so tasty.  And you can scramble one up with an egg.  Or cheese.  Or whatever.  Yum.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/16 1:01 am
VSG on 12/17/15

Thanks Meep, you're right I can do it. I just need to get motivation to. 

MAchick
on 1/9/16 4:09 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I totally do this! Love rotisserie chickens. I buy them and use them in a few meals through the week, and make a nice stock. I also sometimes purchase frozen meatballs, but I've found that most of them have a lot of fillers. I prefer to make my own chicken or beef meatballs and freeze them in a ziplock bag. 

I like grilled chicken burgers too. They have a lot of sodium usually, but we like chopping them up on salads or using them in a meaty tomato sauce. 

MAchick
on 1/9/16 4:11 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I also keep low sodium deli meats and cheese on hand! I toss some in a baggie to bring to work, or have as rollups at home. 

Most Active
Recent Topics