Weight gain

Grim_Traveller
on 1/12/16 8:38 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Lack of vitamins can make you really sick, but not gain weight.

How do you know you are eating 1500 calories? Are you estimating, or are you using a kitchen scale a weighing everything you eat, and tracking it really closely? If you are't using a kitchen scale, you could be eating even more than you think.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

diane S.
on 1/12/16 12:20 pm

Not sure whats going on but my surgeon says when stalled , increase protein. Like 80 or more grams per day. If you do that there is not much room for carbs and if you keep the calories down, it falls into place.   Hope you get this figured out.  diane s.

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/12/16 1:10 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Well I'm going into my 2nd year post op & I gotta tell ya 1200 or 1500 calories a day is too much. There's no way I'd continue to lose at those amounts, plus are you sure you're really eating that amount? Do you still track, log, measure, weigh everything you eat?, or are you winging it? 

For me whenever I eat that high, oftentimes it's because I had a lot of carbs, usually the bad cookie filled kind. Whenever I went back to dense protein I fill up faster & usually my calorie count went down along with it & I start losing weight again.

I hope you get to the bottom of this, all I can suggest is to go back to basics protein first, start logging & tracking everything you eat, use an app like my fitness pal, get your water in. I don't think the lack of vitamins caused your weight gain. I hope your bloodwork comes back ok.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/16 3:52 pm

Oh, I hear your pain. I have been in your shoes so I totally get it.  You posted because you're looking for some help. So, let's get to that! 

First, I don't care what you've been eating one bit.What I'm hoping is you can take the bits from what I've done to lose my regain and apply it to yourself. (Honest to goodness, I am posting exactly what I do to keep losing weight at 4 years out - I'm not blowing smoke up you whazoo!)

1. Give up all sugar! Not just added sugar, but sugar in bread, processed meats, sauces, salad dressings. ALL SUGAR. I do allow dairy carbs (lactose) and I do allow Splenda in my Greek yogurt, but that's it! 
  2. No refined carbs. That means basically anything that's already made for you is off limits. Nothing that comes out of a box that is a carb is going to promote weight loss for you at this stage. 
  3. Now, this may suck, but you have to know EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE EATING! That means weighing, measuring and tracking all of your food every single day. It is well worth it. It's what keeps you on track and focused and accountable. 
  4. My protein goal is 100 grams per day. (I try to hit above that as much as possible.) 80 grams may be a good goal for you. 
  5. Limit carbs. I am able to tolerate a level of carbs that some cannot, but I am not eating refined carbs and all my carbs come from dairy, vegetables, berries and the occasional whole grain or starchy vegetable. If you've been eating a lot of carbs, cut back to 50-60 grams a day and see if you can wean down to under 40.
  6. Pound back the water. 64 ounces MINIMUM. Your body needs the water to expel the fat you are losing. No water cripples weight loss. 
  7. Get active. Just move. You don't have to work out. Just add steps. Do more house work. Just get a little bit more active. 

I wish you the best. It's a tough place to be, but there is hope. Don't allow negativity to enter into this. Obesity is a life long issue and we must always strive to better understand how obesity works for us as individuals. We can all do this in our own time. Hopefully, your time is now! 

trishy
on 1/12/16 4:59 pm

Thank you so so much for the fantastic post and I am greatful for your insight. I am definitely going to try your ideas. Some of it doesn't sound easy but worth it for sure. After being a size 6 for so many years suddenly having to wear my size 8/10 doesn't feel so good. Pretty depressing actually m. Your post gives me hope. Thank you again ?

Revision Band to Sleeve scheduled 10/29

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/16 10:26 pm

There is ALWAYS hope! Sometimes you may be so busy dealing with the negative you forget to notice the hope (that's my story!), but it's always there waiting for you to come back. You have everything you need inside - honest. No new diet, no pill, is the answer. Everything you need you've already got - you just need to remember where you put it. 

KattattaK
on 1/13/16 9:41 am

Trishy I am also considering a revision from band to sleeve (not sure what I'll do), so it's interesting reading about your experience with this. I feel your pain and frustration. I went through a similar struggle when my band decided to stop working after 3 years of success. The weight just kept creeping up despite exercising and staying on plan. Prior to the band, I had been diagnosed with metabolic syndrome, which the band does not help with as other weight loss surgeries do. I hope this all gets figured out and taken care of for you really soon. All the best! 

KattattaK
on 1/13/16 9:30 am

Great reaponse to what was originally posted! Very encouraging and informatuve. 

happyteacher
on 1/12/16 5:08 pm

Are you weighing and tracking to ensure you are eating what you think you are? I know personally I misjusdge quickly otherwise. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

mandaraflower
on 1/17/16 10:11 pm

Trishy, I have not had a bariatric surgery yet. But I have had a diet involving serious supplements to clean out my liver.  I have been studying all kinds of info online related to nutrition.  What I learned is that if you have the proper vitamins and minerals that are balanced, such as in a multi vitamin, that your body will eliminate toxins.  That was the purpose of my liver detox program that included diet and supplements to eliminate toxins.  Multi Vitamins have a similar effect.  You can lose weight faster and/or maintain your weight and not gain weight if your body eliminates toxins.  Weight gain is all about your body encapsulating toxins within fat.  So, if you can take those vitamins again you may experience weight loss more easily.

I have been watching YouTube videos on bariatric surgery patients. I notice that each person has unique challenges.  And most people are tremendously improved as to their looks etc.  And I noticed one video with a beauty young woman and everything looked fine about her except her hair showed a lot of damage two years after surgery. But she admitted in the video that she did not consume enough protein.  Cause and effect.

Most Active
Recent Topics