Weight gain

trishy
on 1/12/16 7:19 am

hello,

I am two years post op. I was a revision from lap band and thought I knew everything. Well about 30 pounds into my weight loss journey post sleeve 6 mos (total goal of losing was 50 pounds). I slacked off on vitamins. In fact...I stopped taking them all together... So here I am two years later working out, eating protein, drinking lots of water, counting calories... And gaining weight like crazy!!! YEP!! I am freaking out because I don't know how the heck I am gaining. It's been two months of trying to lose and NOTHING... In fact, I have gained Even more

Got blood work done for my primary doc last week with a follow up this friday. I am so anxious... But here is my question... Do you all think my anti-vitamin regimen is contributing to my weight gain? I haven't been this heavy in 9 years. I wasn't even this fat before I got my sleeve.  I just don't understand how I could eat 1500 calories a day sometimes less....and gain weight... 

Revision Band to Sleeve scheduled 10/29

mmsmom
on 1/12/16 7:52 am - Woburn, MA

I can't imagine how the vitamins had anything to do with it.  My guess is that if you think you are eating 1500 calories, maybe you are eating more... my maintenance goal set by the nutritionist was like 1200.  An extra 100 calories can contribute to weight gain.  Also, 1500 calories of poor eating choices could be an issue.  Good luck.

VSG on 04/28/2014

cappy11448
on 1/12/16 8:10 am

Hi,

So sorry to hear you are gaining weight.  That must be so frustrating. 

I'm in maintenance and 1500 calories a day would be high for me.  I aim at 1200 calories per day, knowing that some days will be higher than that due to cheating.  I suspect 1400 calories per day is about my maintenance level. 

I wonder if vitamin deficiencies might contribute to food cravings - your body wanting to meet your needs.  But I'm only speculating. 

I'd suggest going back to basics -

1. eat dense proteins first, fill up on low carb veggies. 
  2. Avoid liquids with meals
  3. No grazing - stick to 3 or 4 meals a day.
  4. avoid carbs.  they can cause cravings.
  5. Take your vitamins.  They keep you healthy!
  6. weigh and measure your food.  Log your food.  It easy to overeat if we don't.

Best of luck.  You can do this, and you deserve to be healthy.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

trishy
on 1/12/16 8:22 am

Thank you :-) I appreciate your positive response. Things definitely change a couple years post op as my surgeon warned. 

Everything I have read says that most women eating under 1200 calories a day and gaining weight shows signs of thyroid or low metabolism issues. I'm just so curious to see what the doc says. I am also going to do a visit with my surgeon just to see what he recommends as well. 

hollykim
on 1/12/16 8:45 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 12, 2016 at 4:22 PM Pacific Time, trishy wrote:

Thank you :-) I appreciate your positive response. Things definitely change a couple years post op as my surgeon warned. 

Everything I have read says that most women eating under 1200 calories a day and gaining weight shows signs of thyroid or low metabolism issues. I'm just so curious to see what the doc says. I am also going to do a visit with my surgeon just to see what he recommends as well. 

those thing you have read are geared toward ppl who have not had weight loss surgery. Most of that stuff doesn't apply to is

Tracy D.
on 1/12/16 10:14 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If you are faithfully tracking your calories and know that you're eating 1200 or below per day, then you should know what your carb count is too.  How many grams of protein are you getting per day? How many grams of carb? 

I can eat 1200 calories a day but if my carbs are over 60 grams per day then I'm not going to lose weight; if they are in the 80-100 gram range then I can very easily gain.  

Look at the carbs my dear --- it's ALL about the carbs. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

trishy
on 1/12/16 10:33 am

Hi Tracy, very interesting. I had another friend tell me that as well. I will go check my counter app to see where my carbs are at. Thanks again!! :-)

psychoticparrot
on 1/12/16 8:10 am

I'm still on the way down almost a year post-op, so I can't say if lack of vitamins would have anything to do with weight gain.

But I do know this -- At 5'1" and 64 years old, if I were to eat 1500 calories daily, I would gain weight. I already know from a few unfortunate instances that if I eat even 1200 calories daily, I gain weight.

I'm still in the process of accepting that even when I reach goal, I'll have to continue eating pretty much the way I eat already -- about 700 calories daily -- to maintain. The way I'm eating now is the way I'll always have to eat, vitamins or no vitamins.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

ladygodiva1228
on 1/12/16 8:29 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On January 12, 2016 at 3:19 PM Pacific Time, trishy wrote:

hello,

I am two years post op. I was a revision from lap band and thought I knew everything. Well about 30 pounds into my weight loss journey post sleeve 6 mos (total goal of losing was 50 pounds). I slacked off on vitamins. In fact...I stopped taking them all together... So here I am two years later working out, eating protein, drinking lots of water, counting calories... And gaining weight like crazy!!! YEP!! I am freaking out because I don't know how the heck I am gaining. It's been two months of trying to lose and NOTHING... In fact, I have gained Even more

Got blood work done for my primary doc last week with a follow up this friday. I am so anxious... But here is my question... Do you all think my anti-vitamin regimen is contributing to my weight gain? I haven't been this heavy in 9 years. I wasn't even this fat before I got my sleeve.  I just don't understand how I could eat 1500 calories a day sometimes less....and gain weight... 

What exactly are you eating daily?  Are you tracking, weighing, measuring everything that goes in your mouth or are you "winging" it and saying you are eating 1500 calories a day. 

What is your water intake like?  How many carbs are you eating?  How much protein are you eating?

I do not think your anti-vitamin regimen contributed to your weight gain.  I would say it is what you are eating. 

Post what your daily menu looks like and I can guarantee the vets here will tell you what some of the problems are.

One other thing did you stop losing weight at 6 months out?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

White Dove
on 1/12/16 8:29 am - Warren, OH

Before surgery I would have lost weight on 1500 calories a day.  After surgery I would gain on 1500.  Surgery slowed my metabolism and I need 1300-1400 to maintain and 900 calories a day to lose weight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics