Change in sleeping position after weight loss?

Paula1965
on 1/9/16 5:40 am
VSG on 04/01/15

I have been a side sleeper for as long as I can remember, even when I have lost weight in the past. I tended to have one arm above my head (under the pillow) with the top knee bent and would often hug another pillow in front.

These days I am finding myself sleeping on my back most nights. I'm not sure if it because my boney hips and shoulders don't feel good against the mattress or if my boney knees touch each other and bug me while I'm sleeping but I was surprised about the change.

Anyone else notice a change in sleep position once they lost the weight?

Paula

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

ipray
on 1/9/16 7:03 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I would like to sleep on my side, but I find myself changing positions throughout the night (I switch from one side to the other, then to my stomach then back again) because of the boney knee/hip/ankle thing too.  I use an extra pillow that I put length wise along my torso for support.  This seems to help.  One of the side effects of getting boney I guess, but I'll take it.  (Maybe when we have maintained for awhile, things will shift and we will get used to it).

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/16 8:15 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I was a stomach sleeper my whole life, but now without the "padding" it makes my back hurt like crazy. I never slept on my back, even when I was using CPAP, but now that my sleep apnea has resolved I find myself most comfortable there so my knees don't knock together. Sometimes I just want old comforts though and throw a pillow under my abdomen to try stomach sleeping again.

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/16 9:40 am

Paula,

I was a side sleeper, too! Exactly as you describe - arm under the pillow, top knee bent... I now go to sleep on my back - usually with my arms folded over my belly (well, I guess it isn't really a belly anymore - ). I will still change positions during the night and end up on my side by morning, but I am most comfortable falling asleep on my back now. 

I just figured it's because my mild sleep apnea completely resolved and my knees resting on my legs without much padding didn't feel very good.  

Most Active
Recent Topics