I was bad today!

msecanales
on 1/8/16 10:22 pm

Just as the subject says... I was craving coffee this morning. I drank a cup with 1 serving of creamer and stevia. I ended up not eating anything for breakfast which is the first time I skipped it since surgery. Today was a day from hell at work! I was so upset and irritated that I didn't care about my new diet/lifestyle. For lunch I ate 1/2 chicken strip (fried), 2 bites of broccoli, cheese, and rice casserole, and the corner of a piece of corn bread. I worked 3 hours of overtime today. Went to pick up my baby from my sisters house (whom had to pick up the baby from the babysitters because I couldn't get off work on time). She made chicken and fettuccine alfredo. I ate a few pieces of chicken and dipped them in alfredo sauce.. 

Physically I feel fine and didn't have any issues (thank God) but I feel very guilty... This is the first time I have gotten off track.

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/16 11:08 pm

It happens. Don't beat yourself up. Learn from your experiences today. Plan for the next stressful day (I mean really plan for it! What will you do instead of eating inappropriately for a WLS patient still in WL? How will you deal with your feelings without food? If you feel the urge to eat, what will you do to redirect your attention away from the food? See? PREPARE! ) Forgive yourself - You are human. 

Yes, your eating was really off today, but ONE day won't make a huge difference. Commit to getting back on track immediately! Now, if you string a few days like today together, you'll start "maintenance" well before you're ready to! Just sayin'.... 

Tomorrow is a new day. Make it a "good 'un"! 

ubserved
on 1/8/16 11:48 pm

Life is a journey, some days are going to be better then other days, just like in any dynamic, not just eating. I really don't think that a single day is going to be the huge setback and reversal of your journey to get healthier and thinner. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but a day here and a day there isn't the end all be all. I know I step on the scale every morning and I keep a log, more so for my own personal reflection. There are days I maybe ate something I should have avoided or more of something than I should have, thankfully I have never gotten sick over it, but he next morning if I say the scale hadn't moved at all, or I even gained a few ounces, then I was right back on it and used it as a reminder. Then the next day when I stepped on the scale and saw that I had continued downward as far as weight, life is good. So I suppose this is my long winded way to say enjoy here and there, but with common sense. Good luck. 8)

Shel25
on 1/9/16 12:32 am

While the feelings of frustration, and the realization that eating didn't help are still fresh, think about how you want this to look/feel like in the future. 

No worries that you didn't do as well as you would like on the eating front. Consider this practice for the rest of your life.  It is ok to practice! 

Transfer the feelings of guilt into positive action. You need to come up with some self soothing, just get-thru-the-day strategies when the going gets tough.  As Kairk said, truly PLAN for the next time. Because there will be more days of hell!  

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/16 2:17 am
VSG on 12/17/15

I'm sorry you had a bad day! My work was slammed today too and I got stuck there late so I feel your pain on that. The important thing is you realize it was a bad day and that you don't make a habit of it. I personally pack my meals and keep them in a personal sized cooler at my desk so that safe, weighed, approved food is close at hand and I set timers for when I'm supposed to eat. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

cappy11448
on 1/9/16 3:35 am

We all get off track some days.  I think we have to make room in our diet plans for this to happen.  We are human.  The important thing is the ability to get back on track as soon as possible.  Falling off the wagon cannot be an excuse to give up and go back to old patterns. 

So pick yourself up, brush yourself off and make today a better day.  No harm done in the long run if you can get back on track quickly.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

NateH
on 1/9/16 5:57 am
VSG on 09/26/14

The biggest win is that you recognize what happened. That's the biggest part; admitting your faults. You're human. Just don't beat yourself up and get back on track. :)

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

psychoticparrot
on 1/9/16 9:27 am

You weren't "bad"; you were caught off guard on a busy day. My doctor allows coffee, which I drink black, or occasionally chai, which I drink with a packet of Splenda and about a quarter cup of plain almond or cashew milk. Very low calorie; very satisfying. If your doctor allows you to drink coffee and tea, have them in such a way that you don't pile up calories.

Even the most hurried mornings have enough time for you to eat a hard-cooked egg or a few crab sticks. The key is to have them prepared and available in advance. Same with work -- bring your sleeve-friendly lunch from home with you, so you won't be tempted by the fried and starchy foods normally available. It was nice that your sister had food made for you. Next time, eat the chicken and skip the alfredo. Every situation has a solution -- plan for them.

Those hectic, impossible days happen to us all. I ate a small bag of cookies yesterday for no good reason at all, except that there were no healthy snacks in my fridge, and I felt hungry. Nobody's fault except for my own because I didn't plan ahead. Today I'll go to the store and stock up on sleeve-friendly foods. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

msecanales
on 1/9/16 11:19 am, edited 1/9/16 3:30 am

Thank you every one for the responses. I usually have some cheese sticks or "turkey bites" that are packed with protein and DELISH!! (I can only find them at QT in the sections where they have the beef jerky). I was out of everything! Even protein drinks. But to be honest with you, I was so stressed and "pissed off" that at the moment, I didn't care what I ate. It was after wards when I kinda beat myself up. I did however, drink more water than I usually do.. mainly because I felt so thirsty from running around like a mad woman with all the "STAT" labs we had... emergency baby wheezers. I'm surprised I didn't cuss someone out! lol, It was that kinda day. To everyone else around me, I kept my cool. BUT, in my head, I was so over it!

(I also need to remember that with the weight loss, my hormones are also changing. Darn estrogen! It's crazy how hormones can make us feel at times)

I did better this morning. I am allowed coffee on my plan. This morning, I drank a protein shake. Then drank some coffee with splenda and almond milk instead of creamer. For lunch, I ate 1/2 cup of black beans and some ground beef. I feel much better today (emotionally that is)

Does anyone know if there is a protein powder that wont clump up in hot liquid? If at all possible, I would like to mix protein powder in my coffee so I don't feel like its a "waste of space" in my tummy...

Thanks again guys!

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

Spencerella
on 1/9/16 3:16 pm, edited 1/9/16 7:24 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

You've gotten some great feedback already.  When I've had a bad day, I try to see what I can learn from it.  I spend some time reflecting on what happened and what I could do differently next time. Then I move on.  When I think about what happened to you, I'm reminded of the HALT acronym - four common triggers: getting too Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired. In your case, it seems you had several of those factors going on, so you might want to think about ways to avoid or lessen them next time. Best of luck to you 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Most Active
Recent Topics