Lost 103 lbs and gained 50lbs back! so mad!

Lovely87
on 1/5/16 4:32 pm
VSG on 08/25/12

i have by surgery 08/2012 and lost 103 lbs and here i am gaining it back, 50lbs. I drink about 4 times a week and 6-10 beers when i do. I eat horribly but my portions are still small but i basically graze. I know my eating and drinking habits arent good but i need to get back on track!! should I see a bariatric DR? can someone tell me wheat they eat daily...i need some help im scared of gaining it all back!!

Neesie57
on 1/5/16 5:17 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

If you go to the top of this page, click on the magnifying glass and type in "getting back on track", and you will find lots of posts to help you get back on track with losing.

Basically, go back to the beginning.  Eat like you did right after surgery, during your weight loss phase.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Spencerella
on 1/5/16 5:34 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

So if I'm reading your post correctly, in addition to overeating, you're drinking 24+ alcohol based beverages weekly? If that's the case, it seems you have developed a drinking problem as well. I would strongly encourage you to look at that too .... hope I didn't misunderstand. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Grim_Traveller
on 1/5/16 6:24 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

We had surgery just 4 days apart. I know full well how many calories it's possible to take in. I track every bite I eat, and I've had a few days I've logged over 4,000 calories. If I did that every day, I'd be 400 pounds again. But I balance those days with others eating below my calorie budget to keep my weight steady.

Stop drinking ANY calories. You'll never be happy doing that. And you are in very real danger of developing a transfer addiction to alcohol.

Stop grazing. I could eat all day long, literally, if I ate crap.

Weigh your portions and log your food. Every bite. Go back to dense protein first. Have a steak or chicken, and you'll be satisfied for hours. Eat crackers, drink a beer, or eat other ceappy carbs, you'll be hungry right away, and climbing the walls.

You can do this, but you'll really have to knuckle down. Good luck.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Mary Gee
on 1/5/16 6:49 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

The doctor would tell you to stop grazing, stop drinking alcohol, and go back to the weight loss program he gave you after surgery once you got past the pureed/soft-food stage.

Personally, I got off track for several months.  I stopped losing, and then started gaining.  My problems started when I started eating low carb breads and then overdid the carbs.  Three weeks ago I went back to basics -- I'm following my program, eating dense carbs first, pre-planning and logging.  I've lost most of what I gained.  I am determined to reach goal!

Do the same things you did to lose the 103 pounds.  If alcohol has become "an issue" you may want to consider counseling.

I wish you the best of luck.

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/5/16 7:35 pm - MI

You're being honest about your drinking and eating! Stop drinking your calories and alcohol! I would start tracking your food again! Its easy to fall off track. I just spent two weeks in Florida and ate loosely and had a few drinks. As soon as I got back home it was back to tracking food and measuring everything out! Hold yourself accountable and get back to the basics!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Tracy D.
on 1/6/16 7:13 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

This is going to sound super-harsh so pull up your big girl panties and listen with an open heart:

You should only see a bariatric doctor if you want him to slap you in the face and tell you to put down the booze and never drink again.  Because if you're drinking 6-10 beers 4 times per week, you have a much more serious problem than gaining 50 lbs. back.  The weight gain is a problem - but you're letting it obscure the much bigger problem that you've probably developed a transfer addiction to alcohol. 

If you don't address your overconsumption of alcohol you will absolutely gain back all the weight.  First things first, abstain from booze for the next 7 days.  See if you can...see what feelings come up.  If it completely ****** you off and you are having cravings then you have developed an unhealthy dependency on it.  Then get yourself to an AA meeting, if only to see where you are headed if you don't nip this in the bud now!

No one becomes addicted over night.  Take a super-hard look at yourself and your behaviors and address it now. 

Wishing you all the best! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/6/16 9:15 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On January 6, 2016 at 12:32 AM Pacific Time, Lovely87 wrote:

i have by surgery 08/2012 and lost 103 lbs and here i am gaining it back, 50lbs. I drink about 4 times a week and 6-10 beers when i do. I eat horribly but my portions are still small but i basically graze. I know my eating and drinking habits arent good but i need to get back on track!! should I see a bariatric DR? can someone tell me wheat they eat daily...i need some help im scared of gaining it all back!!

FYI:

"Heavy drinking" is defined as 15 or more drinks per month.

"Binge drinking" is defined as 4 drinks in 2 hours.

You may want to contact the National Drug and and Alcohol Treatment Referral Routing Service at 1-800-662-HELP to find someone in your area who can help with your alcohol abuse.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Hislady
on 1/6/16 6:49 pm - Vancouver, WA

You might want to speak to your primary doc about coming off of the alcohol as I had a friend who every time she detoxed she would have seizures and end up hospitalized. Please be careful and see your primary if you have any issues at all detoxing. Best of luck to you!

hollykim
on 1/6/16 9:47 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 6, 2016 at 12:32 AM Pacific Time, Lovely87 wrote:

I think you need to check out Alchoholics Anymous and then your surgeon.

transfer addiction from food to alcohol is a very real issue.

Most Active
Recent Topics