Hair loss question

LosinginAZ
on 1/4/16 10:56 am

How long does the hair loss last? and how severe is it? Not to sound vain, but I love my hair, I need it. The thought of losing it terrifies me. I understand that I will be losing weight and that is great, but it wont fall off right away, and I am afraid of being fat and bald. Not a great look for a 33 year old woman :( 

Are there any special vitamins, shampoos and conditioners, etc.? Should I just eat a lot of protein after surgery? 

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

catwoman7
on 1/4/16 11:07 am
RNY on 06/03/15

not everyone loses hair - I didn't.  And it sounds like many people lose enough that they notice, but other people don't.  I don't think there are any vitamins out there that will help.  I did keep on top of my protein - which for some might keep the hair loss from being any worse than it already is, but even those who are diligent about their protein intake can still have hair loss.  If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen, unfortunately..

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

tdelson
on 1/4/16 12:08 pm
VSG on 10/12/15

I didn't suffer any hair loss

Tracy D.
on 1/4/16 12:38 pm, edited 1/5/16 1:05 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hair loss is on a bell curve - most people lose some, some people (like me) lost lots and a few people don't lose any.  And there's not a whole lot of rhyme or reason why.  

I promise you that you won't go bald  There are NO special vitamins or shampoos (regardless of what you may read) that will prevent hair loss.  After surgery make sure to keep your protein high, take extra biotin (promotes new healthy hair but doesn't prevent loss), wash hair less often and get a shorter cut with layers if you need to hide any thinning. 

You can also google telogen effluvium for an explanation of why this happens after surgery.  It's always bad for me - always!  I just had plastics in July and I'm still dealing with hair loss.  For me it gets really bad in months 4-8.  After that it usually slows down.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/16 1:01 pm

Listen to what Tracy said. She's spot on. 

Me, no hair loss whatsoever, and that was awesome because I have thinning, male pattern hair loss to start with. 

adrib1031
on 1/4/16 3:00 pm
VSG on 07/07/15

I unfortunately lost lots of hair from months 3-6.  It freaked me out!  My kids would comment about finding hair everywhere.  I wore my hair up every single day.  I am about 6 months out and it has finally started slowing ALOT!!  No vitamins or shampoo seemed to make any difference. 

TexasTerritory
on 1/4/16 3:48 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I didn't lose any hair. Maybe you'll be lucky.

SilverGirl2015
on 1/4/16 4:45 pm

Five monthes out I have lost a fair amount of hair - it has just thinned out all over, not like bald spots anywhere.  I'm not happy about it, but honestly, it's a small price to pay for the VSG, and I doubt anyone really notices anyway.  I'm just aware of it because I have always had very thick hair.  I have been taking vitamins and mineral supplements, protein etc. but I don't think those things really help.  

Tracy D.
on 1/5/16 9:06 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Mine thinned out all over too.  I was already really thin toward the front so this made it look super bad :-(  My hair guy estimates that I lost at least half my hair, might have been a bit more.  I didn't have a ton to start with so it was emotionally difficult for me.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/5/16 9:10 am - MI

My hairdresser noticed my hair loss more than I did. I took the opportunity to cut and donate my hair just before my hair started to thin! I cut it into a sassy short style! I'm over a year post op and my hair is still growing back nice and thick. I have opted to keep my hair short and not grow it back out! I think I look better thinner with short hair! Good luck to you!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Most Active
Recent Topics