puree/mush stage

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/16 9:51 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

So I'm looking for (hopefully) protein rich foods I can eat on puree' (or some call it mush) stage. My dietitian said anything I'm willing to smush (so steamed very soft vegies) or put in the blender (the surgeon's office paperwork said if you're willing to put spaghetti in the blender you can have it) unfortunately because texture is a huge thing for me I am not willing to put a lot in the blender, and if I think about putting normal foods (like spaghetti) in the blender it makes me start to gag. So I've been doing a ton of greek yogurt and (fat free) refried beans with cheese melted on them and a bit of mashed vegies like broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and potatoes. I need things that have more protein and can be steamed or cooked and mashed. I'm still supplementing with protein shakes as needed to get my protein in. I know I may need to do one shake a day for life (debatable depending on surgery centers I know some don't want you to do that) but other than that I don't want to be dependent on shakes or bars to get protein. Any ideas are appreciated.

Karla Phoenix
on 1/4/16 2:25 am, edited 1/3/16 6:25 pm

Hi. I'm almost 3weeks out and just entering this phase myself. I'm eating about what you eat now, refried beans, protein shake, jello with clear ready to drink Isopure, pudding with protein powder. Here are some other things I found:

small curd low fat cottage cheese(no need to purée just chew well, this has been a lifesaver)

creamy peanut butter Haven't tried yet, I may add water to thin this out

soft scrambled eggs

broth with added flavorless protein-not sure which protein to buy, but I ordered bouillon soup with protein from online 

triple zero Greek yogurt (I add water to thin it out) 

potted ham thinned and puréed with broth or water 

Soft mushy veggies

soup, egg drop soup has been my favorite 

low fat creamy soups, I ordered some packets of 12g protein creamy soups from online 

good luck and please, reply or message me if you find anything good. :-)

~Karla 

Sleeved: 12/17/15

HW: 284 lbs.     SW: 266 lbs.

CW: 251 lbs.   GW: 140 lbs.

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/16 9:48 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Thank you Karla for your suggestions. Egg drop soup sounds super yummy I may make that this week. I appreciate it.

alouisa63
on 1/4/16 4:01 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Tuna or chicken salad is good too :)

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/16 9:50 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Tuna is definitely the next thing I am trying I just need to go to the store and because of all the snow where I am I have been procrastinating. Thank you for the suggestion.

Neonanrs
on 1/4/16 4:03 am

Also, if you have a savory tongue, there are all different kinds of tuna ( buffalo and sweat and sour was my favorite).  You have to lube it with a little light mayo but it is yummy and you don't have to blend it.  Corn beef hash blended taste great.  Beef stew blended also taste good.

Surgery date 9-23-15, SW: 212 CW: 125

Doctors goal reached in 6 months. Personal goal reached in 11 months

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/16 9:52 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

I'm definitely all about the savory (I'm sick of sweet from protein drinks) I had heard there were flavored tuna packets now, that's going on my list for the store tomorrow. Might get some beef stew too. Thanks for your suggestions

Wanda1118
on 1/4/16 5:41 am
VSG on 07/09/14

Egg drop soup helped me a lot...also the broth from won ton soup..i still do the egg drop when in a bind and i'm 17 months out of surgery

Good luck to you

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/16 9:53 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Yummy! Wonton soup does have amazing broth and I love egg drop soup for sure. Thanks Wanda!

White Dove
on 1/4/16 7:13 am - Warren, OH

Homemade split pea soup.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics