What can I expect from pre op nutrition classes?

abbyd
on 1/2/16 5:00 pm - DE

This Tuesday I go for my first nutrition class. What were your pre op classes like? I'd just like to get an idea of what to expect. 

psychoticparrot
on 1/2/16 6:33 pm

My pre-op nutrition classes consisted of 95% lecture format to a group of anywhere from 6 to 15 people. The other 5% was one-on-one for a few minutes with the nutritionist.

The lectures dealt with choosing healthy foods and avoiding junk carbs, emotional eating (head hunger vs. true hunger), and the post-op transition stages from liquids to solid foods. One class was an actual cooking class in a mini-kitchen set up right in the surgeon's office suite. The purpose was to show how easy and quick it is to make healthy, tasty, and sleeve-friendly meals.

During the personal time with the nutritionist, we went over my food log and discussed my choices, suggesting alternatives to some of the foods I thought were okay but weren't.

Your nutrition classes may vary from this format. Every surgeon seems to have his or her own way of doing things.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Donna L.
on 1/2/16 7:10 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

My nutrition were one-on-one with a nutritionist who taught me about nutrition, portion sizes, head hunger, etc., very much like what psychoticparrot described except I did not have a class of multiple people.  I was also pre-diabetic pre-op, so I had to attend a diabetic nutrition meeting.  This was unintentionally hilarious (in a sad and amusing way) because the diabetic nutritionist wanted me to eat 45-75g of carbs a meal, and the nutritionist for the surgeon wanted me to eat much lower carb during the weight loss phase (like 40-50g/daily or less).  My PCP is also my bariatrician and told me to ignore the diabetic nutritionist advice, heh.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics