had my sleeve surgory decemeber 28th

dadoftwins08
on 1/2/16 10:40 am - slatersville, RI

I came home  new years eve December 31st had an issue with nausea. now im home and trying to open these capsule meds and drink this stool softener  stuff. why does this taste so bad? does anyone have any advice to choking down these nasty tasting meds 

Jolly_ICU_RN
on 1/2/16 10:50 am
WLS on 12/29/15

I found taking pills made me nauseous. If allowed (ask your pharmacist), I crushed a few pills and placed them in applesauce which I diluted with water to make it more liquidy. 

Also--I found the thick liquids of tylenol and Milk of Magnesia (stool softener) just didn't sit well in my stomach. So I took the dose and added water to it to make it less thick. This made it more manageable. I don't know what my pharmacist did, but those two didn't taste too bad! 

dadoftwins08
on 1/2/16 11:05 am - slatersville, RI

they gave me whats called docusate sodium liquid sugar free  their small cups  of stool softener and taste horrible to drink. and gave me  ursodiol 300 mg capsule that I have to break open as I can not have capsules yet to protect my gal blatter. these are what im having the trouble with

Jolly_ICU_RN
on 1/2/16 11:08 am
WLS on 12/29/15

Ask your surgeon if you can do the diluted applesauce or mix them with a beverage your surgeon has approved that is juice like. Don't dilute it too much though because you have to drink the whole thing to get all the medicine! I diluted mine in just one of the little plastic med cups they sent me home with.

dadoftwins08
on 1/2/16 12:37 pm - slatersville, RI

spoke to on call doctor and he told me to stop the stool softener and switch to milk of magnesia instead . as for the actigal said I can hold off on that as well since they start it early but its not necessary  for the first few weeks.

Jolly_ICU_RN
on 1/2/16 12:56 pm
WLS on 12/29/15

The Cherry CVS brand of Milk of Mag is good! Try that one if you like cherry flavored things. 

Neesie57
on 1/2/16 4:33 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

When I had jaw surgery years ago, I was taking a terrible tasting liquid pain med that was difficult for me to take.  Then I found liquid yogurt and it masked the taste enough that I was able to get the meds down.  If you're allowed yogurt, the liquid ones may be the answer for you.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

White Dove
on 1/2/16 3:19 pm - Warren, OH

Have they suggested just removing the gall bladder?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

handtlkr
on 1/2/16 8:27 pm - Gulfport, MS
VSG on 12/17/15

By the 6th day of my recovery, I was allowed full liquids.  Therefore, I used a remedy that a nurse-friend of mine told me about this summer when I had had a major surgery and had to take narcotics pain relievers for, and it worked quickly, easily and no bad effects or tastes.  I had a few ounces of warm prune juice followed by hot chocolate (sugar free stuff).  I don't know why the combination works, but it cleared me out and had no ill effects to follow. In about two hours of drinking this combination, it started working and has worked like a charm every time. 

I've been robbed! My grandbaby stole my heart!  She just raised her hands and I surrendered.

lking
on 1/3/16 11:05 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

I use 1 cap full of Miralax everyday in a cup of hot tea.  There is absolutely no taste and works like a charm.  My center recommends daily use of Miralax for the first 6 months.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

Most Active
Recent Topics