I can't believe I'm having surgery!

stacyrg
on 1/4/16 9:33 am
VSG on 05/12/14

No, I had my surgery at Cedars.  UCLA was right at the top of my list though.  Good luck and feel free to ask anything of me.  I'm an open book and more than willing to help!  I know you'll do great!!

Laura in Texas
on 1/2/16 2:43 pm

The biggest lesson to be learned is that losing weight, even after weight loss surgery, IS NOT MAGIC!! It is hard hard work. Even though we are told this a million times, some people still think it is magic and do not do the work necessary to lose the weight and more importantly keep it off.

Personal responsibility is key.

Good luck!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/16 5:05 pm

Congrats!  I am 28 and am just under 11 weeks post-op from VSG.  I have had a super easy adventure so far and couldn't be happier.  I weighed in this morning at 253.4 pounds which is an amazing 62lbs already.  I was only out of work for two weeks (depending on your job you might be able to get by with one).  

I have some pointers that helped me with my recovery.  

First, start walking now!!!! After surgery, begin walking as soon as possible.  I started with the driveway and was walking over a mile after a week (still on liquids).  

Second, get your protein in!  I drank a premier protein ready made shake (30 grams of protein) every morning (took about an hour to drink only sipping on it).  I also drank 1 isopure zero carb ready made drink every day which had 40 grams of carbs and took me most of the afternoon to drink.  I drank the isopure in a small glass and would drink regular water and propel water to break it up.  The isopure didn't taste amazing but it gave me the proper amount of protein per day.  

Sugar free popsicles became my best friend, sometimes having 3 pairs a day!

I never felt lethargic and was able to increase my exercise levels pretty quickly because I consistently consumed enough protein.  After week 8 I stopped all protein drinks and feel fine.  

When you start to eat again, TAKE YOUR TIME!!!  Eat slowly and stop when you feel full.  I couldn't eat an entire egg at first.  

Good luck and I wish you much success!  This is a great procedure and you will be amazed with the new you!    

thompsonnewton
on 1/5/16 5:10 pm

Hi Lauren!

I was VSG'ed..hahaha...just 20 days ago and I have to say, so far so good. Best thing I ever did for myself. I was a little worried about anesthesia too..but it really is no big deal at all. I had a great experience and know, in my heart of hearts, I would have never been able to lose weight on my own like this. I am at a stall with weight loss right now, but even that's okay. Just grateful to take care of this little bitty problem called obesity:) You are gonna love it!

Most Active
Recent Topics