Weight gain with IUD

Tea
on 1/3/16 3:53 pm, edited 1/3/16 7:54 am - Moore Haven, FL
VSG on 07/11/12

Thanks for your input, yes I know hormones do not make you gain weight, Yes I know that eating is what makes people gain weight. Had I known the "medication" had a hormone in it that would cause me to think I was hungary all the time, then I probably would not have gotten it. Thanks for letting me know that its all my fault, but  I already knew  and understand it still all my fault. K thanks! This post is to make women aware that there is hormone in it that makes you think you are hungary all the time and if you have one and did not realize it s a side effect. Not a awww poor me, the IUD made me fat and its all the IUDs fault. 

Tea

rocky513
on 1/3/16 4:58 pm - WI

Wow.  I never said it was all your fault. You are over-reacting.  I said that hormones don't MAKE anyone gain weight.  Your original post said that the hormones "made you gain weight".  That is factually not true.  I appreciate that you wanted to warn others.  My post was to add that even though you may feel more hunger on a medication, it's still up to you to police yourself.  

Look, EVERY ONE OF US on this site have issues with food.  We would not have needed to go to the extreme of having surgery to lose weight if we didn't.  I am a very blunt, no nonsense, kind of person.  I have been living the WLS life for 29 years.  I have seen and heard every excuse out there.  I have watch people blame everything and everyone but themselves for regain.  MY only goal was to correct misinformation. I think we need to hold each other accountable on this site.  I truly want EVERYONE to succeed. Personal responsibility equals success for me.

I'm sorry you took it so personally.  It was never intended that way.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Zee Starrlite
on 1/4/16 4:35 pm

Thanks for explaining!  I too thought you were saying that without eating more food that your body got heavy from the IUD.

Wishing you the best

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

MAchick
on 1/3/16 4:57 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

On the other side of the spectrum, I love my Mirena! Had it placed before my surgery,  no noticeable weight gain. Just same old cravings I had pre-iud. 

Laura in Texas
on 1/3/16 5:11 pm

Measure your portions and track every bite somewhere like myfitnesspal and you will start losing again. The further out we get, the more we can eat.

Mirena is attributed to weight gain in about 5% of the people who use it. I was on depo-provera shots for around two years after my weight loss surgery. It can also cause changes in appetite which can lead to weight gain, but I did not gain weight while using it. I hope you find something that works for you.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Maria27
on 1/3/16 6:33 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

This may be true for you, but it is not for many other women. Also, I disagree with your Dr., and Mirena was specifically recommended to me as a good choice following WLS because it has a lower level of hormones that other types of birth control. If the hormones in Mirena are too high for a woman, then her only choice is non-hormonal birth control, which is a worse choice for many. Non-hormonal birth control would make me gain weight because my hormones are not stable on their own, and I experience extreme hunger that time of month. With Mirena, I have a constant hormone level that doesn't fluctuate, so it actually improves my mood and keeps my appetite stable. Mirena has helped me lose weigh in this way. I just wanted to share my perspective. I hope you find birth control that works for you.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/3/16 6:37 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On January 3, 2016 at 2:18 PM Pacific Time, Tea wrote:

I will make this short

Got to my lowest weight of 194 (311 was my highest weight pre vsg)

Suddenly stopped losing and gaining (Did not know why, thought it was possibly due to lifestyle change, going out more often with my boyfriend)

I was eating well, excersizing, but the weight just kept creeping up.

Went to a new Gyno on 12-29-15. I requested my Mirena IUD be removed, as I did not like how it was making feel. We got on the subject of weight gain. I explained my VSG etc. The Dr. said no no, IUD is not good for women who have had WLS, bc IUD does cause weight gain. He said he has seen several women gain anywhere from 30 to 60 lbs in as little as 1 year with Mirena IUD. He weighed me and I rang in at 238.6 (I almost cried). It was also causing me several other issues like... bad acne, cramps, sore breast, achy joints, weakness...etc.

Mirena was removed immediately on 12-29-15. He said my weight should start coming back off now.

As of 1-3-15 I am 232.4 I have lost 6 lbs.... 6lbs in 5 days! I have done NOTHING different since the removal. 

We will see how it goes and I will keep you guys updated.

IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING MIRENA IUD FOR BIRTH CONTROL, PLEASE TAKE THIS INFO INTO CONSIDERATION.

Tea

Yes, there's an observed connection between hormonal birth control and weight gain. But it occurs across other methods as well-- pills, patches, implants, and hormonal IUD's. Additionally, weight gain doesn't occur "magically" unless your calorie-to-burn ratio changes.

Some women do better on some types of BC than others due to the types and amounts of hormones. NuvaRing gave me crazy anxiety, but my Mirena was nothing short of amazing.

If you are considering Mirena IUD for birth control, please speak to your surgeon and OBGYN, and take THEIR info into consideration rather than one anecdote from a stranger on the Internet.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/3/16 7:14 pm

Neither my surgeon nor my ob gyn had a concern with me using a Mirena. I was on my second Mirena without difficulty when I had a hysterectomy and no longer needed birth control 

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

White Dove
on 1/3/16 8:09 pm - Warren, OH

If you are finished having babies a vasectomy is great birth control.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Tea
on 1/3/16 8:12 pm - Moore Haven, FL
VSG on 07/11/12

I haven't had any kids yet, but I will push this birth control in the future :D

Most Active
Recent Topics