Weight gain with IUD

Tea
on 1/3/16 6:18 am - Moore Haven, FL
VSG on 07/11/12

I will make this short

Got to my lowest weight of 194 (311 was my highest weight pre vsg)

Suddenly stopped losing and gaining (Did not know why, thought it was possibly due to lifestyle change, going out more often with my boyfriend)

I was eating well, excersizing, but the weight just kept creeping up.

Went to a new Gyno on 12-29-15. I requested my Mirena IUD be removed, as I did not like how it was making feel. We got on the subject of weight gain. I explained my VSG etc. The Dr. said no no, IUD is not good for women who have had WLS, bc IUD does cause weight gain. He said he has seen several women gain anywhere from 30 to 60 lbs in as little as 1 year with Mirena IUD. He weighed me and I rang in at 238.6 (I almost cried). It was also causing me several other issues like... bad acne, cramps, sore breast, achy joints, weakness...etc.

Mirena was removed immediately on 12-29-15. He said my weight should start coming back off now.

As of 1-3-15 I am 232.4 I have lost 6 lbs.... 6lbs in 5 days! I have done NOTHING different since the removal. 

We will see how it goes and I will keep you guys updated.

IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING MIRENA IUD FOR BIRTH CONTROL, PLEASE TAKE THIS INFO INTO CONSIDERATION.

Tea

Grim_Traveller
on 1/3/16 8:55 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I don't see how an IUD can make you gain weight, unless somehow it makes you eat more. There are no calories in a IUD. It doesn't change your metabolism. It's just a piece of plastic.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/16 4:23 pm

Current IUDs all have a hormonal component and those hormones contribute to weight gain.

roxytrim
on 1/3/16 9:05 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Yea...WTF? why would an IUD cause weight gain - where are our science/medical posters?

'splain Lucy!

abuck
on 1/3/16 9:12 am

The mirena is not just plastic.  It is plastic + hormones (levonorgestrel).  I had a Mirena prior to WLS and gained 60+ pounds in a year.  Was it just the "plastic"?  No.  It was the hormones making me moody as heck and when I get moody I eat.  Mirena removed and weight stabilized.  My gyn said that even though the hormone is very small amount some women respond very similar to me.  I known several women in similar situations personally.  I have Paragard IUD now (no hormones) and the mood changes are not present.  Good luck in your continued weight loss!

roxytrim
on 1/3/16 11:24 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Oohhhh...thanks so much for that explaination.  It has been many a moon since I've had to worry about such things and wow, has that landscape ever changed.

TKCAN
on 1/3/16 12:06 pm

That is interesting. I have used  Mirena for 8 years. I have never had acne, cramps etc etc. It has been nice for the last 8 years not to have my period. I have never heard of weight gain because of it. That's something I will have to do some  research on. I am having surgery on February 24. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/16 2:47 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Hormone IUDs like Mirena can definitely cause weight gain as can any birth control but it effects every woman differently. I need to get back on birth control to control my cycle and so there are no babies in the near future, but am terrified about weight loss luckily the boyfriend lives 1300 miles away from me in AZ temporarily for work so it's not the hugest priority right now. Glad you figured out this and got it taken out. Be careful rollin in the hay though, you're super fertile as you lose weight and your fat released hormones into your body.

Tea
on 1/3/16 3:41 pm - Moore Haven, FL
VSG on 07/11/12

Yes, I apologize. My body did not respond well to the added hormone from the IUD. I should have said in my initial post that the Doc said it was due to hormone from mirena. I'm sure that every Dr. is different and may disagree with one another, but this Dr. does not recommend Mirena IUD to women who struggle with their weight or has had WLS. I had alot more than weight gain issues with it tho. 

Thanks for the replies all. 

Tea

rocky513
on 1/3/16 3:44 pm - WI

This may come off as harsh but hormones do NOT make you gain weight.  EATING makes you gain weight.  They may make you moody, they may make you have an increased appetite,  but it is still YOUR responsibility on what and how much you eat.   You have to choose to not "eat your feelings".  You have to recognize that, even though the hormones are creating mood swings or making you feel hungry, you still have to choose to eat properly.

There are a number of medications that are supposed to cause weight gain.  Unless the weight gain is water being retained from the meds, the problem is the patient caving into the cravings and eating too  many calories.  If you know that the medication has a reputation for causing an increased appetite, you have to make the adjustments to prevent it from happening.  It's all about personal responsibility.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active
Recent Topics