2 Days Post Op

GrumpyBengal
on 1/1/16 11:11 pm
VSG on 12/30/15

HI everyone,

So I am 2 days post op and I am so SORE! I am having to take my pain meds every 3 hours or the pain is out of control, I am bruising pretty badly. 

I am doing my best to get up and walk around, but man does it hurt. 

They have me drinking 4oz every hour, so 1oz every 15mins. 

I have done some protein but I cant drink a lot it makes my stomach hurt, so I worry that I am not getting enough. I am not dehydrated, I am making sure I drink. 

I had my husband get me some Tillamook greek yogurt, premier vanilla pre made protein shakes, soup and some more propel. 

does this sound normal like everyone else? 

Lots2gainbylosing808
on 1/1/16 11:26 pm

I feel your pain! Post op is no fun. I found that a binder on your tummy makes it a little easier to walk (so all your stuff isn't jiggling around). sip sip sip is the theme of my bariatric program :) I stayed in the hospital an extra day (3 total) because the pain meds were making me sick. Once I got home I needed pain meds for a couple days and it took me about a week and a half to feel normal again. It's been a month and 10 days and I'm just about 40 pounds lighter. Its a process but it is worth it!! 

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/16 11:27 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Hi there Ms Grumpy (hehe I like your username) I'm 15 days out (almost 16) and that sounds like me a lot at a few days out. I had to take medicine every 3 hours on the dot or I felt like I was dying(I'm not good with pain in general). Don't worry for the first few days about hitting protein goals, your body has plenty of calories of fat to live off of from your excess weight. It is most important to ge****er in so you avoid getting dehydrated because that is one of the worst things that could happen, you would have to be re-hospitalized and it could cause death, I don't mean to be doom and gloom but it's important you focus on the water goals. At about a week out I was finally able to get a decent amount of shake down and wa****ting my water goal, at my 2 week follow up upon seeing me hitting water and protein goals  my dietitian moved me to puree stage yay. Remember sip sip sip and walk walk walk. The pain will get better, I promise. When you can and if your surgeon allows it I would try and transition to using liquid tylenol instead of the narcotics, at least during the day and using narcotics at night to make sure you can sleep. Narcotics actually slow down your healing. My surgeon was very adamant that I use the least amount of it I could. But listen to your body, and take it easy as far as everything other than walking goes. My mom wouldn't even let me carry my purse when we went out the first few times after surgery, it had to be in the cart or she carried it. 

GrumpyBengal
on 1/1/16 11:52 pm, edited 1/1/16 3:56 pm
VSG on 12/30/15

Hi ladies! Thank you for the encouragement. 

"Grumpy Bengal" is my cats nickname, he gets so grumpy when I wont let him lay on me lol, hes a mamas boy and at 17lbs hes just a little to big to be laying on my tummy at the moment. 

I am doing my best to get my 4oz's in an hour in and sipping in between. How much walking should I do? It really does hurt with all your stuff moving around, even using the bathroom is a chore. 

We tried some Tylenol and it didn't do a stinkin thing, I have a really low pain tolerance. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/16 12:32 am
VSG on 12/17/15

Sorry to hear that tylenol isn't working yet, I understand the low pain tolerance like I said listen to your body first,just passing on what I was told no judgement if you need to use every last drop of your narcotic pain meds. My surgeon told me walk as much as I could tolerate. I actually walked 2 miles (according to the on duty night nurses) the night of surgery after they got me up to my room because I did so many laps around the floor, pain meds make me unable to sleep so it was mostly boredom and insomnia fueled plus I was on a pain pump so I was pain free virtually. Since coming home I try and hit as many steps as I can a day, do you have a pedometer? I know they are built into iphones not sure about android I think it would depend on the phone maybe you can download an app to track? Myfitnesspal (which you should download if you haven't already) is great not just for tracking calories and nutrients but also has a built in pedometer if you phone has the capability for it, again with iphone for me it is easy because there is one built into mine. Drinking water does get easier, just keep sipping, you're doing what you need to. Also you can get a body wrap (thought consult your surgeon) to hold your stomach. I didn't have one as my surgeons office doesn't use them usually, but I almost think that was better because while a bit more painful it basically made my body hold me up which I think encouraged healing. Honestly it sounds like you are on the right track for a few days out of surgery. Also my 2 cats (I have a munchkin and an American short hair) did not understand why (at 4lbs and 7lbs) they couldn't lay on my tummy and they were quite grumpy about it too. Hope you're healing continues on schedule, please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you need me. I am on almost every day, often multiple times a day. 

GrumpyBengal
on 1/2/16 1:07 am
VSG on 12/30/15
On January 2, 2016 at 8:32 AM Pacific Time, Kelly M. wrote:

Sorry to hear that tylenol isn't working yet, I understand the low pain tolerance like I said listen to your body first,just passing on what I was told no judgement if you need to use every last drop of your narcotic pain meds. My surgeon told me walk as much as I could tolerate. I actually walked 2 miles (according to the on duty night nurses) the night of surgery after they got me up to my room because I did so many laps around the floor, pain meds make me unable to sleep so it was mostly boredom and insomnia fueled plus I was on a pain pump so I was pain free virtually. Since coming home I try and hit as many steps as I can a day, do you have a pedometer? I know they are built into iphones not sure about android I think it would depend on the phone maybe you can download an app to track? Myfitnesspal (which you should download if you haven't already) is great not just for tracking calories and nutrients but also has a built in pedometer if you phone has the capability for it, again with iphone for me it is easy because there is one built into mine. Drinking water does get easier, just keep sipping, you're doing what you need to. Also you can get a body wrap (thought consult your surgeon) to hold your stomach. I didn't have one as my surgeons office doesn't use them usually, but I almost think that was better because while a bit more painful it basically made my body hold me up which I think encouraged healing. Honestly it sounds like you are on the right track for a few days out of surgery. Also my 2 cats (I have a munchkin and an American short hair) did not understand why (at 4lbs and 7lbs) they couldn't lay on my tummy and they were quite grumpy about it too. Hope you're healing continues on schedule, please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you need me. I am on almost every day, often multiple times a day. 

I got up at like 2 AM to go to the bathroom and I wanted to walk then, but I was glad my nurse was by me because I lost my balance and grabbed her and she told me I better go lay back down. 

I then got up again at like 4 am to go to the bathroom and that time I did two laps around the hall area, then they didn't get me up again. They got me up to do a swallow test, and then told me I could go home when I wanted. They were great about making sure I was comfy and not in pain. But didn't seem to attentive to me getting up or when I pressed my nurse button. 

I have myfitness pal on my phone, I just forget to log all my info, So I have just been hand writing it in my book for the weight program I am on. Just keep sipping, sounds like Dory! lol 

Right now as I am working on my computer, Talon is laying on his blanket right beside me. If I move he watches to see where I go....lol kids. 

I really appreciate your help and letting me know this is normal! lol 

I will send a friend request. 

These hiccups are brutal. Also does your stomach feel like it wants to growl? like you get the pressure and then it goes away? Or if you drink a little too much do you feel bubbles coming back up?

Ana

Jolly_ICU_RN
on 1/2/16 10:45 am
WLS on 12/29/15

Once my PACU nurse told me, "Walking makes the gas better", I walked and walked...I barely sat down in PACU because sitting put pressure on my tummy and you couldn't "lay down". You had to sit up in the chair. I was lucky--I had my dad with me (who is also a nurse) and he is a big tall strong man, so I felt safe hanging on to him. We walked and walked and walked. One of the nurse**** my back like burping a baby lol. I guess I was lucky, I never had to ask for pain meds or anything--they just knew and gave it to me. But I had surgery at the hospital I work for--which is amazing--and sometimes i think nurses treat fellow nurses better...one of their own..?

Grim_Traveller
on 1/2/16 5:00 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You'll feel a little better every day. Just a little. This was major surgery, and it takes a while. 

Drinking is rule number one. Increase the amount each day. Walking is next. Yeah, it can stink. But it prevents blood clots. Walk a few minutes, at least, every hour.

This will all be a distant memory before you know it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

happyteacher
on 1/2/16 6:12 am

You are doing great overall. Keeping hydrated is more important than protein at the moment. Early out I used Isopure (drinks like kool aid) given the shakes sat too heavy. Hang in there, the first week is the toughest. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

ubserved
on 1/2/16 10:50 am

Did you doctor okay the yogurt? I am assuming you are watering it down, I know I was on liquids only for 2 weeks after surgery. Also use your binder, it will help you.

Most Active
Recent Topics