Making your own cookbook and why it rocks!

happyteacher
on 12/30/15 9:33 am

About 20 years ago the family realized that we lost the coveted Sauerbraten recipe that had been passed down for generations. I had a few of those types of recipes too on my side of the family, and knew that putting index cards in a box just wasn't going to cut it. Years ago I found a website mycookbook.com where you could enter your own recipes and get it published for only $20. Even better, they save it on their site so you can update it, reorder, etc. My first attempt seemed like it would be a chore, but in one weekend I had it done. I have updated it now 4 times, given it as gifts to my exchange students, give it to my children when they move out, to my sisters, etc. It is hands-down the most used cookbook by my family. But, it would sit on any other family's shelf, as the recipes are the ones that are loved by our family if that makes any sense. 

So fast forward to this week. I love love LOVE my pressure cooker, but absolutely HATE tracking down recipes in my favorite cookbook (Lorna Sass, Pressure Perfect) due to the funky ass way she has that laid out. My daughter had to use the pressure cooker for the first time when her future in-laws came over for lunch and I was only a couple of days out from surgery. I walked her through it, and now she loves it too. I realized that I needed to make a second cookbook focused only on my pressure cooker recipes. I am about a quarter of the way done, and only have been picking at it. But I can't wait for it to be done, and I will get one made for my sister's birthday since I am getting her a pressure cooker for her present. 

Best part though, and the purpose of the post. I am this time getting smart- I am running every single recipe through the MFP recipe creator so I can post the calories, carbs, sugar, protein, fiber, and iron- the nutrients that I need to track the most. This way the higher carb options that the family loves can be in there, but I can be well aware of the impact on the blood sugar levels. So, make your own bariatric friendly cookbook- it is not hard, it is not expensive, and you will use the heck out of it!!!!!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 12/30/15 10:06 am

Great idea! I've done a version of that myself. I scanned all my paper recipe cards into documents that are stored in "the cloud." All the new recipes I've come across on this site also get filed by category in the cloud. My son, whose hobby is cooking, stores all his favorite (and my) recipes on a website he created just for that purpose, so even if one of us loses a cherished recipe, the other will have it.

Another advantage of creating your own cookbook online is that you can take all your recipes with you when you travel. I'm in Nicaragua now, but if I want to cook something in our apartment, all I have to do is look over the recipes on my ChromeBook, pick up the ingredients (if available!), and healthy, homemade food is soon on the table.

The nutrient calculator in the MFP recipe creator sounds great. I must check that out. Thanks!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

happyteacher
on 12/30/15 10:23 am

Funny that you mentioned the travel thing- totally forgot to mention that. I have used it online for that reason a bunch too! I like the website idea for storing recipes, but given what I for a profession (Tech Teacher) I have no interest in maintaining another website- but I do really love that idea!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psren13
on 12/30/15 10:09 am - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

Are your recipes for an electric pressure cooker?  I am having such a hard time to find recipes for this or how to adjust present recipes.  I am so used to listening to the swoosh swoosh psssss of the little black rocker on top.  Is your MFP open for the public?  I would love to see your recipes.  Thanks... (and is a great idea..)  Pam

happyteacher
on 12/30/15 10:26 am

I use a stove top model currently, but will be picking up an electric one soon. If you are able to program your pressure cooker (set it to high for example for X amount of minutes) then they should be pretty close. From what I am seeing online there is only a minute or so difference in cook time, and the natural release process appears to be a little slower on an electric. Haven't used one though, so perhaps someone else can chime in to add something more useful. Once the book is done I think the site allows me to make a PDF of it for free- then I can send it to you. 

psren13
on 12/30/15 10:31 am - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

Thanks for the info.  And yes, that would be great to send it to me.. Once again, thanks.  Hope you have a safe bright Happy New Year.. Pam

happyteacher
on 1/8/16 8:26 am

I just bought this cookbook- it has 500 hundred recipes and offers cooktime with both stove top and electric cookers. Common ingredients too!

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/15 10:11 am

The loss of a family recipe can be devastating. My Granny used to make a prune cake that was a family favorite. My pop lost the original recipe and though he had my Granny's base recipe could never duplicate the changes she had made and written down for him. 

Hey, if anyone has a recipe for a very moist, rich prune cake - send it my way! I'd love to surprise my pop with it! 

happyteacher
on 12/30/15 10:27 am

That is such a loss for sure. I came up with a recipe that was very similar to Grandma's sauerbraten- close enough it makes my father in law estactic whenver I make it. Still though, not exact. I hope someone has a Prune cake recipe- that is something that my husband would love!

Neesie57
on 12/30/15 5:17 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Hi kairk, if you search Cake Central, cakecentral.com, you can find many recipes for prune cake.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics