Dumping Syndrome from FAT content

Darcy G.
on 12/31/15 12:18 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Thanks, guys. I think I've had whatever this fat-associated condition is since my gallbladder was out at 23... So I already expect the worst if I go for something greasy, but I was mostly concerned that it might bring something else with it, go a step further(because seriously, it's bad enough already!).

Sorry for being gone yesterday after posting question. I actually forgot that I posted it... In deadline mode right now and it pretty much derails the brain-train until the book is out the door. :)

Donna L.
on 12/31/15 8:04 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I think a lot of folks might confuse dumping syndrome for reactive hypoglycemia.  If you are unaccustomed to releasing large amounts of insulin - i.e., if you are on a WLS or low-carb diet, your body reacts poorly when you eat sugar.  You experience heart palpitations, flushing, shaking, nausea, clammy skin, etc.  When people first go on a low carb diet this can happen, too.  Your body basically is like, where's my insulin please?!  If you eat something with glucose or fast carbs the feeling goes away.

This is likely more probably than having dumping syndrome with a VSG, from a biological/biochemistry standpoint.  Now, of course, everyone's body is different, however with a pyloric valve there isn't typically a huge release of under-processed carbohydrate into the duodenum...or there shouldn't be.  

Basically, it's not surprising people who are unaccustomed to eating high amounts of carbohydrate would get flushed and be symptomatic when having sugar, especially when most of us have been diabetic or insulin resistant.  That doesn't mean it's dumping syndrome, necessarily.  Or, they might even be the same.  I couldn't find any peer-reviewed studies in a very quick search, on VSG and dumping syndrome.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics