This is not one of those posts!

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/15 12:22 pm

Sometimes the secret is not related to getting on the scale daily. Hell, I weighed every single day and watched my weight climb. What I needed was assistance with my disordered eating. That's what got my scale moving in the right direction again.

Sometimes it's not simply knowing what to do to get the weight off, but the reason behind the eating that is causing the regain. Just sayin'...

Spencerella
on 12/29/15 12:46 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Agreed, Kairk!  I may have misconstrued my message. I wasn't suggesting that doing those four things will get and keep us thin. This is a multifaceted problem.  What I meant was - in response to Julia's topic - that these were four 'easy' things that I knew I could commit to for a lifetime and that many people who post asking for help have never done or forgotten about. I do many additional things most days, but it was and is 'easy' to commit to those four basic things every day.   

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/15 1:01 pm

I completely understand your comment and that of White Dove. Not even questioning the responses, but wanted to add to them.

For the people who, like me, have food/eating related issues that remained unresolved post VSG a simple message of get on the scale, catch it early, get back on track can be a trigger for feelings of inadequacy and failure. Believe me, I got back on track so many times. I weighed daily. I got back on the diet cycle. I gained over 40 pounds being completely aware of what was going on. 

It was important to me to point out to anyone who might read that post that there is still hope and a normal life with food is possible at an acceptable weight. 

Yes, regain is scary as hell. But there should never be any shame attached to it. Shame deserves no place in this process. If anything, regain has made me stronger and more accepting of myself and my issues. 

Okay, off the soap box! 

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/29/15 1:05 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

You are absolutely right!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

JAlston
on 1/4/16 9:18 pm
VSG on 12/07/12

Couldn't agree more. I wish I had taken the time to figure out how to deal with my emotional eating issues, I always heard about people doing therapy and what not but I was naive and figured oh once I am smaller, I will be problem less...dumb really. 

Here I sit 3 years post op, needing assistance with disordered eating and no idea where to start. Working on the cause is the secret to success, wish I was wise to that 3 years ago and not "wishing" so much now. 

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/16 10:19 pm

I have walked in your shoes. If you need help getting started, send me a PM and I will happily share the steps I took to get help. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/15 9:41 am

Nice to see you. It's been a while! Glad you continue to do so well. Happy New Year!

Spencerella
on 12/29/15 11:14 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Hey Julia!  Nice to see you!  I chuckled when I read your post title because I knew what you were referring to without even reading it :-). 

When I decided to have surgery, I thought I had a decent shot at getting the weight off but had no idea if I could keep it off - still don't.  Despite that, I knew I could commit to several things  that were linked with success:

• eat protein first
  • separate drinking from meals
  • avoid liquid calories
  • weigh myself daily

No matter what else I do or don't do, these core habits remain with me. I believe they've been major contributors to success. And let's get real - these things are very easy to do!  

LINDA                 

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/29/15 11:35 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Grazing is a hard one too - to be avoided at all cost! Yeah those few core habits are really key for me as well. I just know it when I am reluctant to get on the scale that there is all the more reason to do it!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Spencerella
on 12/29/15 11:42 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Yup the grazing thing is deadly and one I do sometimes as well :-(. And avoiding it is one of many additional things I try to do as often as I'm able.  Sometimes more successfully than others. But no matter what, I'm always able to do the four things I listed and I'm pretty certain I can do those things forever. 

LINDA                 

Most Active
Recent Topics