Feeling full

Bridget12406
on 12/24/15 2:10 pm

How do I get that full feeling again so I don't over eat?

MaggieL
on 12/24/15 4:23 pm
WLS on 11/17/15

I still haven't learned to know when I'm full, so I measure everything so I don't over eat.

rocky513
on 12/24/15 4:36 pm - WI

How far out from surgery are you?  You should be measuring your food and eating only what you measure out  according to your surgeon's plan.  You can't really rely on any sort of "full feeling".  If you are early out from your surgery, your nerves in your stomach were cut and you will not feel the full sensation until they heal and reconnect,  That may take months.  Over eating early out can cause dire consequences ( like death).

If you are many months out from surgery, you still should be measuring your portions and eating only what you measure.  We didn't become obese by knowing what  a proper portion size looks like.  We also did not allow ourselves to ever feel true hunger, nor did we learn to stop eating when we were satisfied.  We usually ate until we were stuffed.  Many of us use that stuffed feeling as an emotional crutch.  It feels like comfort to us.  Use this time to relearn how to eat until satisfied...not full.  The only way to do this is to measure, so you can actually visualize what  portion looks like, and stop eating before you feel full.  Teaching yourself to be satisfied with the amount you measure will lead you to success.

My advice to you is to under eat.  Don't ever eat until you "feel full".  If you eat until you feel  full, you have probably eaten too much.  Eat only what you measure and the STOP.  

There are some that get "signals" like a runny nose, or hiccups.  If you get those, don't take another bite.  You will be miserable.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

cappy11448
on 12/24/15 4:37 pm, edited 12/25/15 11:50 pm

I follow Frisco's advice and choose to under-eat my sleeve.  I weigh and measure my food, and I regularly eat less than my tummy will hold.  This is for two reasons.  One is that I don't know how to eat until full and not over-eat and feel pain.  They are very close to each other.  The second is that eating pre-planned, measured meals of healthy food is the best way to control my calorie intake and keep myself healthy. 

I don't think most vsg'ers eat until they are full.  I'd be glad to hear other people's thoughts on this. 

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

psychoticparrot
on 12/24/15 6:02 pm

If you're still in recovery after surgery, measure everything you eat to make sure you don't overeat. At this stage, your sleeve is not healed enough to send you reliable "full" signals.

I weigh and measure as often as I can. Since my husband and I travel and eat out a lot, I've learned to estimate how much I can comfortably eat, then put the extra into a takeaway box before I even start to eat. I always stop eating the moment I feel the first sensation of fullness, even if there is still food on my plate, knowing that my mind will catch up with my stomach in the next 15-20 minutes to leave me contentedly full. I could eat more, to the point of feeling stuffed, but I try never to do that. Feeling stuffed means you're eating too much and slowing your weight loss. Stuffing your sleeve also puts a lot of pressure on the sleeve, which over time may lead to complications.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Dan1962
on 12/25/15 5:24 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I'm 15 months out and still measure 90% of the time.  For me there is no full....I have two feelings, comfortable and sick.  Even one bite over makes me hate myself and just want to feel better.  My experience is I will never feel that full feeling again.  My therapist said that feeling is a "comfort" feeling for overeaters and most people don't seek that feeling like we do.  With that said, do I miss it?  Yes.  Do I seek it, no.  Try to change your thinking and remind yourself we can all eat less and survive.  Back in the day I could make myself very emotional about missing a meal or not getting "enough" to eat.  Now when it's 4:00 and I'm hungry and dinner is still 3 hours away, I just think back to a year ago and remember that I can survive quite well and a small amount of food.

I still spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about this new life style but the rewards are many.  I miss some of my old behaviors but the thought process is slowly but surely changing.  You just have to be committed to the change.  Good luck!

rocky513
on 12/25/15 8:16 am - WI

You get it!  Awesome job!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

poplargreys
on 12/25/15 8:11 am
VSG on 03/31/15

I measure my foods whenever possible to AVOID that full feeling, and if I can't measure, I eat a few bites and stop before the first hint of fullness. I LOATHE my new full feeling, it is terrible (which, IMO, is exactly what I needed to keep me honest and successful in the long run) and I will go to great lengths to avoid it. Eating to fullness is what got me to 315lbs at age 30, so it obviously wasn't working for me before.

White Dove
on 12/25/15 8:33 am - Warren, OH

Take two weeks and do the Atkins Induction plan.  You can look up details on the internet but it is going to mean eating as much dense protein as you want and little else.  You will be keeping your carbs between 18 and 22 per day.

Buy Keosticks to measure your urine and be sure you are in dietary keotosis. 

In two weeks you will lose a lot of your recent 20 pound regain.  Then transition to regular Atkins or your post-op plan.  They should be about the same.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics