Liquid Diet before surgery

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/15 10:43 am
with

Hi all. My surgery is scheduled for 1/19/16, so my 2 week liquid diet begins 1/5/16. 

Any tips on how to make it not so horrible? I have tried to do the liquid before, and it made me miserable, so I did liquid breakfast, liquid lunch and small dinner, but now I have to go full force into liquid only. 

I am allowed clear broth, 4 protein shakes a day, unlimited sugar free popsicles and jello, and of course, water. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make it easier? Frozen protein shakes, special broth recipes, anything to make it feel like im eating food? :P

Thank you!

ubserved
on 12/23/15 12:38 pm

What I did was drink my zero calorie Sobes, my Premier Protein shakes I bought from Costco, and sugar free jello. The first 4-5 days I will be honest with you, it sucked out loud. But then after that day 5 mark, it was like a switch was thrown and it was pretty easy. Hang in there, keep your eye on the prize and you'll be fine. Good luck.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/23/15 1:58 pm

Decaf coffee to make them less sweet.  warm to hot-to make them  like hot chocolate...hot coffee

Using some protein soup instead of sweet shakes. i.e. chicken soup flavored.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 12/23/15 2:10 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

sf jello jiggers

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/15 3:55 pm

It may not be allowed on your plan but I was allowed to add yogurt, cottage cheese or peanut butter to my shakes till the last 3-4 days. Could also add fruit to them. I added flavors to them as well especially the vanilla ones can be changed about a bit. I found the powder based shakes to be far more filling than the ready made. No idea why. Sorry but nothing makes them like eating "real" food but you'll get through this time and be so very glad you did. As other shave said the first few days are the worst. Then you seem to get used to it and the excitement about the surgery grows.

psychoticparrot
on 12/23/15 4:34 pm

There's not much you can do about the liquids except to vary temperatures and flavors to relieve boredom. Try not to dread this time -- there are so many good things happening: You're finally and officially on the road to surgery; you will lose weight on the liquids, always a boost for morale; you're doing all you can to ensure a safe surgery and recovery by sticking to the liquids.

On the morning of my first day of pre-op liquids, I opened my Premier shake, put it on the table, and for a few moments pondered its significance in my life, whi*****luded the points I mentioned above. Then, with gratitude, I drank the shake and started on the road that gave me back my health and my life.

Be grateful for the liquids! 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/15 7:59 pm

Pho broth saved my sanity.

Most Active
Recent Topics