Eating too soon?

MissBecky
on 12/22/15 8:33 am
VSG on 12/08/15

I am 2 weeks out of surgery today. But by day 10 I was sick of protein shakes and I was hungry. So on day 10 I had a scrambled egg. Day 11 an egg and cream of chicken soup. Since then I have had some cheese. My stomach is taking it well, I've had no nausea or vomiting. What are the dangers of eating too soon? Also I've yet to feel full. I only ate a couple bites because I was scared, but not full. I am really worried something didn't take or maybe they did not remove enough of my stomach. I should feel full after eating. Any help is appreciated.

ladygodiva1228
on 12/22/15 9:14 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On December 22, 2015 at 4:33 PM Pacific Time, MissBecky wrote:

I am 2 weeks out of surgery today. But by day 10 I was sick of protein shakes and I was hungry. So on day 10 I had a scrambled egg. Day 11 an egg and cream of chicken soup. Since then I have had some cheese. My stomach is taking it well, I've had no nausea or vomiting. What are the dangers of eating too soon? Also I've yet to feel full. I only ate a couple bites because I was scared, but not full. I am really worried something didn't take or maybe they did not remove enough of my stomach. I should feel full after eating. Any help is appreciated.

No you will not feel full after eating as you have had at least half of your stomach removed along with nerves. 

What does your plan say?  Are you allowed to be eating scrambled eggs and cheese at 11 days out?

Are you taking a PPI for acid?  Acid will mimic hunger.  How is your water intake?  As dehydration will also mimic hunger.

You really need to measure out what you eat so you do not over eat. 

Not saying it will happen, but if you over eat the worst thing that could happen is busting your staple line and have to have emergency surgery.

It may be best to follow the plan your surgeon gave you.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

MissBecky
on 12/22/15 9:44 am
VSG on 12/08/15

I am not taking a PPI, do not know anything about acid, we did not go over that. Thanks for a great question for the Dr. I drink a lot of water. I have an app that reminds me every 15 minutes to take a sip. I wasn't supposed to eat until day 14, but I couldn't stand it. I was hungry. Looking back it could have been head hunger but I still ate. I am feeling bad about feeling so good. I have a few friends that have had this surgery and they were unable to hold things down, had to stay a few extra days in hospital, nausea all the time and almost instantly full after a bite or two. I have had none of those issues so I worry that everything is going too well. But I am prone to worry.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/22/15 9:58 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The nerves in your stomach have been cut and will take some time to heal, so you won't feel any restriction for quite some time-- usually at least a month. You will NOT feel full. This is normal.

Even if you're not queasy or throwing up, you can ABSOLUTELY do serious damage to your body by putting in more than your stomach can handle, or things that will irritate or even rupture your staple line.

If you want to know if eggs or cheese are OK, check the information your surgeon gave you for post-op eating specifics. Or if in doubt, call the office and speak to someone.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Tracy D.
on 12/22/15 10:37 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hi Becky - I can only report on what my plan allowed and I'm not saying it is the best one around.  I was definitely eating - and allowed to eat - scrambled eggs by Day 10.  There were no restrictions on liquids or solids other than what my tummy could tolerate. But I took it real easy.  

You aren't going to feel "full" or even know what that sensation means for weeks, maybe months.  You need to limit yourself to the exact amounts your plan calls for.  And if your plan doesn't spell it out then ask your doctor's office.  At Day 10 I couldn't eat a whole scrambled egg.  

Signs that you are overdoing it as far as intake:  runny nose, burping, hiccups, tightness in chest.  These are signs you have overeaten and need to back off the amount.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

White Dove
on 12/22/15 11:03 am - Warren, OH

You will only get emergency surgery for burst staple line if someone gets you to a hospital on time.  It is possible to die if that happens and you are alone and unable to get help.  Please be very careful and measure your food.  One lady who had surgery the same day I did burst her staple line.  She was at work and they found her unconscious and bleeding from the rectum.

She was taken to the hospital by ambulance and her family was called to her bedside to say their goodbyes in case she did not make it.

Her surgery repair was successful but it was a scary experience.  Talk with your team about what you should be eating now and follow their rules.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics