Pre op diet... Need advice

TKCAN
on 1/3/16 2:17 pm

I am scheduled for my VSG surgery February 24.  I am having it done in PV Mexico.  I am going there on February 15 and returning on March 1.  I will be staying at an all inclusive resort. I am planning on buying protein shakes while I am there.  Any advice would be appreciated on what to eat while I am there for my preop and postop diet.  Does anybody have any ideas what I should pack and bring from home while I am there.  thanks in advance !

hollykim
on 1/3/16 2:22 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 3, 2016 at 10:17 PM Pacific Time, TKCAN wrote:

I am scheduled for my VSG surgery February 24.  I am having it done in PV Mexico.  I am going there on February 15 and returning on March 1.  I will be staying at an all inclusive resort. I am planning on buying protein shakes while I am there.  Any advice would be appreciated on what to eat while I am there for my preop and postop diet.  Does anybody have any ideas what I should pack and bring from home while I am there.  thanks in advance !

you should pre and post op diet info from your surgeon. Most plans call for clear liquids for the first week. That would includesf jello sf drink drops broth teas and decaf coffee. 

psychoticparrot
on 1/3/16 8:32 pm

What Hollykim said. Your surgeon will probably have you on pre-op liquids by the 15, and you should still be on liquids by March 1. 

You might want to pack some Crystal Lite dried packets and some beef and chicken powder to make clear soup as a change from the sweet liquids. Be sure to drink only bottled water there. 

Patients who have had surgery in Mexico can advise you better on other things to pack.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Smile_and_nod
on 1/4/16 1:46 am
VSG on 01/18/16

Does your surgeon or his office have any suggestions on things to bring? You might be able to ask them as they might have an idea of what people say they needed or wanted from pervious experiences. Also, are you asking what type of diet of diet or just things to bring? Just from travel experience if you cant bake it, boil it, or peel it you probably should avoid it just to help prevent any travelers diarrhea or other issues.

As for diet (I just started my pre-op diet) and my surgeon has me doing a total of protein 80-100gms a day, 3-5 small meals, each meal should be 15-20 gms of protein and less than 10-15 carbohydrates. They recommend baked or boiled chicken (should be able to find easily in Mexico), eggs, yogurts. When I get home I can give you a more detailed list if you would like.

When ever I travel I bring a lot of crystal light packets or other water enhancers (someone previously mentioned that), bug spray, simple first aid kit (ibuprofen, meclizine, Benadryl, Imodium, Tylenol), extra batteries, verify with your resort about electronics and their outlets.

White Dove
on 1/4/16 7:17 am - Warren, OH

Just seconding the reminder to not drink the local water.  Drink only bottled water and be sure it is sealed from the factory.  Street vendors will refill the bottles with local water sometimes and sell them to unsuspecting tourists.  Montezuma's revenge is miserable.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics