Small splurge before liquid diet?

LosinginAZ
on 12/31/15 7:39 am

So I have been eating healthy now for 167 days (my fitnesspal keeps track, not me :P ). Which means it has been at least 167 days since I have had any bread, pizza, sweets, etc. I haven't cheated once! I have been eating only protein and veggies and have lost a lot pre-surgery, which is great, but now in 4 days I start my two weeks of liquid and have been debating whether I should have pizza one time before I start. 

Pizza has always been my favorite food, and it is the one thing I miss eating. I have tried the cauliflower pizza, the meatza, etc, but nothing is the same. I know that pizza is basically the worst food I can eat, tons of carbs, fat, and so on, but part of me really wants to have like 2 slices before I start my liquid diet. I realize that after I get my sleeve, pizza, at least for a long long time, will be a thing of the past. So I feel like this might be my last chance. 

Here are my fears.

1. If I eat pizza, will I fall in love with it again and just want to eat it all the time again?
  2. Will it mess up my ability to lose weight after surgery? 
  3. Will it make the liquid diet even harder to start? 
  4. Will I regret eating it?
  5. If I don't eat it, will I regret that in a month when I am on puree? lol

Has anyone had one final treat before starting their liquid diet? I am not talking going to a pizza buffet and going hog wild, but just eating something you have been abstaining from, one last time, in a small amount?

If you have done, did you regret it? Why? 

Thanks everyone!

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/15 9:42 am

Can't tell you what to do but I will say for myself if I ate that pizza it would have made me crave the carbs you are now used to being without. So it would have made going on a liquid diet even harder. That said I find just eating the topping off the pizza to be very satisfying now. If I am really craving it after making some for my husband I am happy with a bite or two of crust and then the topping. Life is different after surgery and so are your desires! Good luck with this decision and your surgery.

Nick S.
on 12/31/15 10:26 am - Detroit, MI
VSG on 12/22/15
  1. Can you really ever fall "out of love" with pizza?
  2. Absolutely not. That weight will melt off.
  3. Liquid diet sucks for like 3 days. Then it's easier.
  4. Not as much as you'll regret NOT eating it.
  5. Everything changes after surgery. I haven't had a single craving or hunger pang since before my surgery.

I had bbq baby back ribs before my liquid diet. I enjoyed the meal with my family and had a good night. The next day, a new phase of my life began and I never looked back. Since my surgery, life has been a whirlwind of change and I haven't thought once about those ribs until typing this post.

Just my $0.02, but I say it won't hurt if you go into it with the proper mindset.

Heaviest: 335   Currently: 190

VSG in December 2015

Pianolover
on 12/31/15 11:43 am

I think you are waaaaay overthinking the whole situation. Eat pizza or don't eat pizza...whatever! I had a "last supper" before my liquid diet at olive garden, did I feel bad about it? No. Has it slowed my weight loss? Absolutely not. Have I been back to olive garden since? Yes, but if I have a breadstick, I have maybe 1/3 of a breadstick instead of 3 or 4 like I could have easily eaten before surgery.

I too loved pizza once upon a time, and still sort of miss it. However, I ate a small slice of hawaiian papa murphy's pizza sometime in october (6 months after surgery) and vomited for hours...so it doesn't really have as much of an appeal anymore!!

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

diane S.
on 12/31/15 11:51 am

well go ahead and eat the two slices (no more) and say farewell to the pizza. I had my last supper of a prime rib dinner a couple of months before surgery. It was a couple of years after surgery and reaching goal that i ever had any pizza again.  now i occasionally have a slice of thin crust.   no big deal.  gl and congrats on your surgery.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

SilverGirl2015
on 12/31/15 12:03 pm

I did it.  Not pizza, but a pasta splurge...and it was wonderful!  No ill effects, maybe a little guilt, but went forward with the liguid diet, surgery, and five months later doing just great with no cravings.  

Donna L.
on 12/31/15 12:21 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18
  1. Eh.  This depends on different people.  I used to be crazy for pizza, but post-op I am not so keen for it unless it's really good.
  2. Only if you develop a habit of constantly going off plan.  No one ever gains weight from one off-plan meal a month.  No one ever gains weight from having a piece of pizza once a month.  It's daily habits that cause us to go astray.
  3. I had a lot of trouble with the liquid diet, but I also have an eating disorder.  It's really individual how well we do.  You might, but you might not!
  4. Well, only you know the answer to that question. :)
  5. Haha.  Maybe?  I did not really even want to eat anything the month on puree, and I actually made a ricotta bake that had pizza-esque flavors.  Nothing like a pizza, but it helped the jones.

Lots of people eat poorly before the liquid diet and do well afterwards--I think someone here called them "food funerals."  I think if you were eating it every day and going nuts then it would be a bad idea for obvious reasons.  I think if you have been good with moderation for months you'll be fine.  You just need to note ha*****anges down the road if it becomes difficult.

Expect to possibly get cravings from the carbs in the pizza if you've been low carb for a while.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

tdelson
on 12/31/15 1:11 pm
VSG on 10/12/15

I ate some things just to get them out of my system before the prep for surgery and surgery. Now I don't care about them. I don't regret it and I don't crave things either. I have adhered to the food schedule the doctor provided and do a little exercise now. 

psychoticparrot
on 12/31/15 2:23 pm

I had sushi before I started my pre-op liquids. I was afraid I'd never be able to have it again. Silly me!

The important thing is that when you start your liquids, don't stray off the path.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

LosinginAZ
on 12/31/15 5:29 pm

Well I did it. I ate some pizza for dinner and let me tell you, I already regret it. 

It wasn't that good. It didn't have the amazing taste I remember. On top of that it made me sick. I haven't had that many carbs in months and it is making me sick and shakey. 

At least now I won't crave it,  right? 

I do feel bad though, like I shouldn't have done it. I am mad at myself but hopefully I can use this disappointment in what I ate to give me the drive to get through this 2 weeks of liquid :) 

Thanks everyone! 

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics