Thoughts on Probiotics??

happyteacher
on 12/20/15 8:18 am

A while back JustPete suggested I try probiotics given I was having some very persistent stomach issues. (Turned out to be acid, possible return of a large hiatel hernia, and getting the gallbladder out tomorrow.) I am only just now getting around to picking some up and ordered these. I waited so long I can no longer remember what Pete recommended. I am pretty uneducated in general on the topic, and am starting to review the benefits and myths online- but I always appreciate first hand experience. What are your thoughts on them? Do you have a brand you recommend?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

jenorama
on 12/20/15 8:58 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

My husband has used probiotics for a long time and they work really well for him. He's always had trouble in that department and this keeps him going. He used to use the juice drink ones called Goodbelly and those were very effective because the juice kept the bugs nice and lively, but it was very inconvenient for travel because of the refrigeration requirement. He's since switched to a capsule one he gets from Whole Foods. He has terrible gastrointestinal reactions to any little bit of milk and keeping up on the probiotics helps with the aftermath. 

I Use the True Nature capsules from Costco and they work pretty well. I'm usually a once a day person and I can definitely tell when I've missed a dose. 

Jen

happyteacher
on 12/20/15 9:04 am

I was wondering about a Costco option- thank you. I assume it would be a better deal than what I paid. I will check them out on my next trip- 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

G3andBsMOM
on 12/20/15 9:07 am

G N C has some good ones.

michellemj
on 12/20/15 9:41 am

I swear by them. I've used several different brands, depending on how unhappy my gut is. Currently, I'm using some from Costco and I think they are effective.

For me, I need them for everything to be in balance. Lots of protein can cause things to...you know...not come out so nicely.

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/15 12:54 pm

Yup - Fage Greek Yogurt. I'd start there. 1 cup a day (1/2 am, 1/2 pm). See if you have any improvement.  I took some high end organic probiotics - highly recommended and rated. I believe that I get far more benefit from the yogurt. Just my opinion. 

happyteacher
on 12/20/15 2:46 pm

Thanks Karik,

I eat yogurt daily so if the probiotic thing can help, I have maxed out that area I suspect. I alternate between the Fage, and Kefir typically once a day plus a Dannon light greek. I am planning on continuing the yogurt and adding some in to see if there may be a benefit. 

Most Active
Recent Topics