Vitamin question

ojosverdes86
on 12/17/15 3:12 pm

Can anybody let me know what kinds of vitamins or products you all use? I am taking all of the ones that Dr. Quinones had suggested, but I want to know what is good to take to prevent the hair loss. I am a little over 2 weeks out from surgery and terrified of dealing with losing a lot of hair.

Duetoprivacy
on 12/17/15 3:48 pm

So, for what it's worth, it seems like the vast majority of people lose a significant amount of hair regardless of vitamin intake. I am 2.5 months out and am trying everything that might possibly help mitigate it because I am plain old vain about my hair. I don't know if it will help, but at the bare minimum I'll know I tried everything. I do my very very very best to meet or surpass my protein goals every day from complete protein sources. I plan out my food intake to make sure those goals are consistently met. I also add in a supplemental collagen protein powder but do not count that toward my protein goal because it is not a complete protein. I use this one: Great Lakes Collagen. I also take biotin, and have been doing so since way before my surgery. I'm religious about my vitamins, calcium, and water. Fingers crossed. 

ojosverdes86
on 12/18/15 4:17 pm

O.K. well congratulations on your new surgery,so I heard the biotin is really good for hair and nails.

I also got a post here that says that she had taken it for a while and saw that she was growing more hair on her face and on her body then she was growing on her head.

Have you noticed any thing like this? 

I ask because you said you have been taken this for some time now.

All of this that you are taken sounds really good for us anyway even if it does not stop hair loss so let me know how all this works out for you . 

Duetoprivacy
on 12/24/15 12:22 pm

I know that hair loss is very likely, no matter what hopeful or preventative measures one takes, but these steps make me feel better.  I haven't experienced any unwanted hair growth at all from the biotin, and my nails are very strong.

The most important thing, of course, is to eat as healthily as possible and under medical supervision. My nutritionist said that as long as I'm meeting all of my nutritional goals, the extra collagen would only do me good. It dissolves perfectly in my coffee, so it's about as effort-free as possible. We'll see what happens in the coming months. 

ojosverdes86
on 12/27/15 1:14 pm

Thanks...

rocky513
on 12/17/15 4:06 pm - WI

Google Telogen Effluvium.  The hair loss is caused by the trauma to the body from surgery and the effects of the anesthesia they use.  

You can keep your protein levels up and take extra biotin or other vitamins to help your hair grow back stronger, but you can't do anything to stop the hair loss.  Not everyone loses hair, but most of us do.  

The hair loss starts at about 3 months out from surgery and stops at around the 9 month mark.  I lost about half my hair.  The only one *****ally noticed was me.  I just went out and got a new, sassy, short hair cut to help me through that rough patch.

My hair grew back just as thick as it always was.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/17/15 4:21 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Vitamins, protein, extra water... they won't do squat to prevent hair loss.

People do lose different amounts, I haven't seen anyone report going completely bald or anything. I had a few thin patches that I covered up with brown eyeshadow on my scalp (I wore a pixie cut at the time) or hair-fiber powder.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

psychoticparrot
on 12/17/15 5:24 pm

You may not lose a lot of hair, "green eyes" (cute!). It varies from patient to patient. I had thin, fine hair to begin with, and I expected I would have to wear a wig for a while after my anticipated hair loss; maybe I would have to wear one permanently.

My hair loss began at about 6 months out and ended two months after that. To my surprise, I lost relatively little hair, and it's growing back already at 11 1/2 months post-op and coming in thicker than it was before. I think a healthy diet supplemented by the prescribed vitamins and minerals my surgeon required is making my hair healthier than it was in a long time.

Your hair loss will be what it will be, so don't obsess about it and don't take more vitamins that your surgeon recommends; too many vitamins can result in toxicity -- that's something more appropriate to be terrified about. The hair loss is temporary. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 12/18/15 12:32 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 12/18/15 12:33 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

All the vitamins and protein in the world won't prevent hair loss.  If it's going to happen, it's going to happen.  Look up Telogen Effluvium.

Some people will suggest that you take biotin.  Be careful.  I found that it grew more hair on my face and body than my head.

The hair loss is temporary.  Mine started at 3-1/2 months and lasted for six. Now my hair is back to normal and the fear and dread I had about the hair loss is a faint memory.  The weight loss, however, is wonderful and so worth a couple of months of thinning hair  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Recent Topics