Reflux and Gastric Sleeve

Canadian_Girl
on 12/16/15 2:39 pm

I am looking to have gastric sleeve at the end of March but I currently have pretty bad reflux (mostly consists of burning in my throat) and I am concerned that it will make the situation worse. I have heard of people needing to get revision to bypass to alleviate their symptoms. Would love to hear From anyone who has the sleeve with pre-existing gerd/reflux.          

happyteacher
on 12/16/15 2:43 pm

The general recommendation is that Rny might be a path to check, as it will deal far better with the reflux. With that said, I had TERRIBLE reflux prior to the sleeve. The doc found and fixed a hiatel hernia during the vsg surgery, and no more issues. Fast forward almost 4 years, and tons of acid issues with an onset this past August. This was initially thought to be from my use of ibuprofon (Nsaids) due to a surgery, but not a CT scan a few days ago indicates another hiatel hernia. Doc is ordering an Upper GI to confirm, but if it is there I will need to chat with him about what to do to prevent it again given I am already a higher risk to fix it given the revision status. Something to think about. Many here get the sleeve, have the hernia fixed like I did, and have no issues with acid. Then just as many get the sleeve and it makes the acid situation worse. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/16/15 4:00 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I had gerd when I got the sleeve, but it was very,very mild & likely due to the hiatal hernia that was repaired during surgery. I had a ppi for a month b4 surgery & for a couple of months after. I haven't had a problem since then.

I think for you, you should really look at the rny, the vsg will likely make the gerd worse. If it's something that can repaired, as in that it's caused for sure by a hernia, maybe you can get away with the sleeve, maybe. A lot of people end up getting gerd when b4 surgery they didn't have it. Its a risk & 1 of the cons of surgery.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

rocky513
on 12/16/15 4:59 pm - WI

I had severe GERD for 25 years and now have Barrett's Esophagus.  RNY cured my GERD.

I would not have a surgery that could potentially make your reflux worse.  Many people have to revise from VSG to RNY because of severe reflux. I would opt for the surgery known to cure it and not take the chance on having to revise lateer.  Revisions are difficult and, remember, most insurance companies have a one weight loss surgery per lifetime clause.  If you had to revise, you may be paying for it out of pocket.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

vodriscoll
on 12/17/15 9:54 am

I also have reflux.  My doctor gave me an upper endoscopy which would determine if I could have the sleeve or not.  It turns out I can.  Talk to your doctor about getting an upper endoscopy.  

(deactivated member)
on 12/17/15 1:22 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I planned on sleeve for 3 years until an endoscopy for something unrelated showed I had esophageal damage from silent GERD. My surgeon said he'd still do the sleeve but that there'd be a good chance I'd need to revise to RNY down the line anyway. My insurance covers one procedure lifetime, so my mind was made up. I couldn't be happier with my choice. My husband had sleeve 2 weeks after my RNY, and our recoveries were practically identical.

Most Active
Recent Topics